You and your significant other can win $100 this Valentine’s Day season

Kayla Ralph, a junior psychology major from Bountiful, and Zach Root, a junior management major from Berthoud, Colorado, share a Valentine’s Day coffee date together. Lindsey Cozad | Sun News Daily

A Utah Tech University professor is giving couples a chance to win $100 for answering a few questions about their relationship.

James Stein, assistant professor of communication, is collecting data involving people in close relationships. He is looking for 100 couples to answer a series of questions, and in turn, those couples will be entered into a raffle to win $100. 

“The research is an attempt to look at the way couples change their communication when in the presence of their social network members,” Stein said. “This means friends, family, co-workers and other peers within their social space.”

A raffle is held after every 20th couple that comes in giving each couple a 5% chance to win. 

Some requirements to participate in the study are:

• You both must be at least 18 years old
  • You both must speak fluent English
  • You must be in a romantic and/or sexual relationship that is at least three months old

According to pewresearch.org, 47% of American adults have been married or in a committed relationship for more than five years. That comes out to around 95 million people. Additionally, 21% of all adult Americans – about 42 million people – are married or in a committed relationship for less than five years. 

Stein said this study is part of a larger research program he’s been working on for several years. 

“What I’ve been doing over the course of my career is taking a look at the ways in which couples experience uncertainty and interdependence and how these variables interact with the perception people have surrounding their networks,” Stein said.

Stein added that this study began at the start of last semester and is an ongoing process that will continue until they can hit his mark of 100 couples. 

“So far my data shows that the people surrounding a couple like their friends and family members have opinions on their relationship, and those opinions alter the way that people think about the relationship and the communication they have,” Stein said.

According to psychologytoday.com, peer pressure can have many effects on relationships including who we date and how long we date. The most influential people in relationships are the people we trust the most. We often look to them for advice and approval. 

Participating in this study will take around 25-40 minutes and will take take place at the Jennings Communications Building. If you would like to be a part of this study, send an email to [email protected] or go to https://DSUCOMMRESEARCHLINK.as.me/ to schedule a time for the in-person survey.

Additionally, if you have further questions regarding Stein’s research, you can email him at [email protected] or call 435-652-7638.