Learn more about Fusion’s spring showcase

Zachary Billings, a Integrated Studies major from West Haven, and Corey Gardner, a Criminal Justice major preparing to give the best show to the audience for the upcoming Fusion’s performance. Miki Akiyama | Sun News Daily

It is time to get those hands clapping and smiles on by watching Utah Tech University’s performance team, Fusion, at its spring showcase.

The showcase is March 9 and 10 at 7:30 p.m. in the Cox Performing Arts Center.

Fusion will be singing and dancing to contemporary songs at the showcase. From songs like “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from “Encanto” to “Nothing Holding Me Back” by Shawn Mendes, there is music that will keep the audience’s feet tapping. There is a physical and virtual program for the audience to follow along and enjoy the show. 

Tickets cost $10, and the money raised will go toward scholarships and programming for Fusion. Each student on the team is given a scholarship, and with the help of the community, it is possible for those students to obtain new opportunities.

Part of the money will also be dedicated to Fusion’s 10-day spring tour to Spain. The team will be visiting four cities. The songs and dances performed at the spring showcase will also be presented to schools and communities in Spain. Fusion member hope to leave an impact on people through song and dance and recruit for Utah Tech while in Spain.

In a video that will be played at the performance, Geoffrey Reynolds, director of entertainment alliance, encourages students to get involved with ensembles offered at Utah Tech. He emphasized the opportunities to perform and connect with other people on campus and the importance of doing so.

Each song has members in different costumes and performing a variety of dance moves. Some songs are performed acapella to show the students voice and singing ability. The production alternates between only boys, only girls, soloist and group numbers.

Fusion’s stage manager, Zach Billings, a sophomore accounting major from Ogden, has been singing and dancing with the team for two years. He talked about the benefit for Fusion when friends and family attend the show. Billings also said Fusion members are hoping to provide a fun night for the audience.

Billings said: “The spring show allows Fusion performers to showcase their skills and talents that they have been working on all year long. Attending the Spring Show for the students is a way to support the university as well. Come see an impactful show.”

First-year performer, Felicia McCoy, a junior integrated studies major from Woods Cross, talked about her favorite parts of Fusion. McCoy had participated on the drill team and musical theater in high school and wanted to continue her passion at Utah Tech. 

McCoy said: “I really love dancing because it is a way for me to express myself without words. Dance allows me to express myself in ways that words can’t. I also enjoy surrounding myself with so many amazing people on Fusion.”

McCoy references her favorite song and dance to perform in the spring showcase is “Rewrite The Stars” from “The Greatest Showman.” She said it accentuates her dancing abilities and what she has worked on so far. 

Another Fusion performer, Creed Rose, a junior art major from St. George, became involved with Fusion two years ago. Rose spoke on the impact Fusion has left on him and why he continues to perform.

Rose said: “I get to make friends with a bunch of people that I probably would have never met otherwise.”

Creed stressed the importance of friends, the bonds and connections he has made through Fusion, and that the relationships will last a lifetime.

Hallie Henderson, a freshman psychology major from Eugene, Oregon, talked about her love for singing, dancing and performing. She said Fusion gives her the opportunity to do this. Henderson is featured in a song as a soloist.

Henderson said her favorite song in the spring showcase is “Somewhere Over The Rainbow.”

“It is my song and it is a way for me to show my vocal range and ability,” Henderson said. “Some of my best friends are dancing alongside me, which I love.”

The opportunity to audition for Fusion is coming up and will be elaborated on more at the spring showcase. More information for the 2023-2024 school year can be found on Fusion’s website.