Inclusion week: How to be an ally

The LGTBQ+ Student Organization held an event to educate students on how to be an ally on Mar 28. Miki Akiyama | Sun News Daily

As part of inclusion week at Utah Tech University, the LGBTQ+ Student Organization hosted a “How To Be an Ally” event and over 90 individuals attended. 

The event had three speakers:

• Brett Coleman, Marketing coordinator
  • Jordon Sharp, Vice president of marketing and communication
  • Sarah Ostler, a junior psychology major from Highland

President of the LGBTQ Student Organization, Ostler, spoke on the struggles many face in this minority and why this event is needed at Utah Tech.

She said: “Many LGBTQ students on our campus struggle with feeling like they belong; this can lead to isolation, loneliness and depression. Queer individuals are also more likely to struggle with depression and anxiety, so it is crucial that the student body understands how to help these people.”

One slide in particular defined an ally: “An ally is someone who is active and purposeful in supporting, promoting, and advancing real change to a marginalized group through a focus on inclusion, equity, and diversity.”

Sharp, who is a straight cis man, discussed a specific situation when a person comes out to someone and identifies with the LGBTQ community. His advice was: “Don’t fix it. Don’t change it. Learn something.” 

Sharp said he has a kid who came out to him, and instead of trying to fix it or tell them it’s a phase, he came from a curious point of view and supportive mindset. 

The event educated students and staff about the LGBTQ minority and how outsiders can be there to support them. For example, a professor could make an announcement at the beginning of the semester for the class saying that they are here for the students and a safe person to talk to. Even the simple reminder goes a long way.

An attendee, Kaili Ruth, a junior criminology major from Pleasant Grove, said: “The event is important because I heard what others go through. Hearing from both a straight cis male and members from the queer community was such a great touch because students who identify as either one can understand and listen to both sides.”

At the end of “How To Be an Ally” event, the speakers posted LGTBQ resources that can be found in the community. These being Encircle, Equality Utah, Pride of Southern Utah and the on-campus club.