Leslie LeRoy Schroeppel

Ivins / Lindon, Utah – Leslie LeRoy Schroeppel, 81, passed away Sunday, June 12, 2011 with family surrounding and comforting him. He was born July 24, 1929 to Faye Leola Clabaugh and Clifford Leslie Schroeppel in Creighton, Nebraska.. He attended schools in several Iowa communities, Corpus Christ, Texas and Portland, Oregon. Les went to Iowa State College until the Korean War when he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1951. He served in Japan and Korea and was discharged in 1953. He then married Joyce Kennedy on June 28, 1953 in the Congregational Church in Webster City, Iowa. They moved to Ames, Iowa where Les finished his degree in engineering. He began his career as an engineer at Fisher Governor Company in Marshalltown, Iowa, later as a plant manager for the same company in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, and lastly as the vice-president of quality and safety for Valtek, Inc. in Springville, Utah., where he retired in 1996. A convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1957, Les and Joyce were sealed in the Logan LDS Temple on June 28, 1958. He served in the church as gospel doctrine teacher, ward clerk, Branch President, High Councilman, District Aaronic Youth Advisor, Bishop, Cub Master, Primary teacher and home teacher. Les and Joyce served missions at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah and at the St. George Family History Training Center.

Les and Joyce were the parents of eleven children, four girls and seven boys, all living in Utah: Kim Gazaway, Orem, Leslie (Mike) Carr, Spanish Fork, Kerry (Kay) Schroeppel, South Jordan, Mark (Jackie) Schroeppel, Orem, Bruce (Kim) Schroeppel, Springville, Kay (Steve) Clegg, Lindon, Debbie (Kevin) Singson, Lindon, Scott (Enedina) Schroeppel, Highland, Doug (Kim) Schroeppel, Pleasant Grove, Gregg (Rose) Schroeppel, Springville, and John (Tammy) Schroeppel, Lindon. They have forty-nine grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents; brother, Gerald; and great-grandson, Carson Gillman.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 11:00 a.m. at the Red Cliffs LDS 8th Ward Chapel, 625 East Center Street, Ivins, Utah. A visitation will be held Tuesday, prior to services, from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. at the Chapel.

A second service will be held Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 11:00 a.m. in the Lindon LDS Central Stake Center, 56 East 600 North, Lindon, Utah. Visitations will be held Friday evening from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Sundberg-Olpin Mortuary, 495 South State Street in Orem, Utah and on Saturday, prior to services, from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. at the Lindon LDS Central Stake Center. Interment will follow at the East Lawn Memorial Gardens in Provo, Utah. Arrangements entrusted to the care of Metcalf Mortuary, (435) 673-4221.