Wendell Winsor Pickering and Esther Jones Pickering

Wendell Winsor PickeringWendell Winsor Pickering, (84) beloved Husband, Father, Grandfather, and Friend, was called home July 12, 2011, with his beloved wife and family at his side. He was born November 9, 1926, in Enterprise, Utah, to Ernest Arthur and Maryann Winsor Pickering. He was the fifth of six children. He attended Enterprise High and was raised to work hard on the family farm. He learned many skills to use throughout his life.

Wendell’s military service was in the Army 67th tank battalion during WWII. At a farewell dance, before he was sent to the Philippine islands Esther had given him a lipstick kiss on the cheek. After an honorable discharge he returned home to find the girl that had kissed him at his send off.

Wendell married sweet Esther Jones on March 17, 1948, in the St. George Temple. They made their home and raised five children in Enterprise, Utah.

All Wendell’s life he loved playing in the dirt and made his living doing so. He was a heavy equipment operator and had a gift of making a machine do what he wanted. Wendell retired from the operating engineers in 1988. Wendell has a genuine love for people and this trait helped him as he served faithfully in all his church callings throughout his life.

Wendell received great joy from music. He loved to dance and play the harmonica and accordion. He was a constant part of The Enterprise String Band.

Esther Jones Pickering
Esther Jones Pickering, (82) Beloved Wife, Mother, Grandmother, and Friend joined Wendell beyond the veil on July 16, 2011. Esther was surrounded by Family Friends and Love. She was born October 9, 1928, in St. George, Utah, to James Simpkins Jones and Esther Alice LeFevre Jones. She was the youngest of 11 children Esther took great pride in her schoolwork. She maintained a 4.0 GPA all the while working part time. Esther continued learning all her life. Her interests were wide and varied with formal and informal training in many areas. This made her a valuable employee in anything she chose to work at. She was always interested in helping others. Esther’s whole world was centered around her family and providing for them. She was the world’s best mother and grandmother. Words cannot express how wonderful she was.

Esther has a giving heart. This has been manifested throughout her life through her service to her family, in the Relief Society, Sunday School, and just being someone’s Favorite Aunt. She could always be found serving up food, a listening ear, hugs, and lots of love with homemade root beer, a doughnut, a meal, —or whatever was needed.

Esther found her love, Wendell, while dancing. They continued to entertain themselves and others for years on the dance floor. People just loved to watch them having fun.

Wendell & Esther are survived by their children Devor (‘Arthur Pickering, Kim Bert Pickering [Sondra], Elmo
Wendell Pickering [Tamra], Fawn Hulet [Charles] and Nolan Ernest Pickering [Tammy]. They have 19
grandchildren & 9 great-grandchildren.

Wendell was preceded in death by his brothers Arthur Pickering, Perry Anson Pickering and his sister Leah Murie. Esther was preceded in death by all of her siblings.

Their children appreciate their wonderful parents who during their 63 years together provided a great home to grow up in full of love, work, and service where all who entered felt welcome.

Funeral services for both will be held in the Enterprise  Utah Stake Center on Thursday July 21. Viewing 10:00-
12:00 Funeral 12:30. Additional viewing Wednesday July 20 6:00-8: OOPM. Enterprise Stake Center (50 South Center) We would like to publicly thank all of those who so lovingly cared for our parents during the last years of their lives especially Martha P. Barnes, Southern Utah Homecare & Hospice, and their hometown of Enterprise.

Arrangements entrusted to The Swindlehurst Funeral Home.  On line condolences may be sent to www.swindlehurstfuneralhome.com.