Dixie State College Announces New Board of Trustees Leadership

Dixie State College of Utah officially welcomed new leadership for its Board of Trustees at a special meeting Wednesday morning. Steven G. Caplin, who has been a member of the DSC Board of Trustees since 2005 and most recently served as the Board’s vice chair for the past two years, was elected as the new chair of the Board of Trustees. Caplin replaces outgoing Trustee Chair Dr. Shandon D. Gubler, who served as the Board’s chair since 2007 and completed his term on the Board last June.

In addition, the Trustees welcomed a new member to the Board as Lon E. Henderson was introduced as a replacement for Dr. Gubler. Henderson was appointed to the Board by Utah Governor Gary Herbert. Additionally, newly elected DSC student-body president Mike Sheffield began his year-long term as a voting member on the Board.

The DSC Board of Trustees will announce who will serve as Vice Chair and will announce one more member, along with finalizing Board committee assignments and responsibilities, at the quorum’s next meeting in September.

“I appreciate the support of our fellow Trustees and look forward to this academic year,” Caplin said. “There is much work that has gone into it on the part of the faculty, the administration and the staff, and the Trustees very much look forward to supporting them in their efforts. Great things are happening at Dixie and we’re excited to be a part of it.”

Caplin currently serves as president and CEO of St. George-based Steton Technology, the leading provider of application software leveraged by professionals responsible for public health, consumer safety and quality assurance. Caplin holds an MBA from the University of Texas, where he focused on high technology entrepreneurship and competitive corporate strategy. He graduated Summa Cum Laude in Accounting from Southern Utah University. 

Prior to forming Steton, he was successful in sales and business management at IBM, as well as in corporate accounting and finance at Southland Financial Corporation. He was born in Miami, Fla., and attended secondary schools in St. George. Caplin and his wife Toni, who both are 1981 graduates of Dixie College, live in Santa Clara, Utah, and are the parents of four children. 

Henderson is the founder and principal partner of Soltis Investment Advisors in St. George. A graduate of Brigham Young University, Henderson’s business experience is rooted in the financial services industry, where he was employed by Foster & Marshall, Inc., Shearson American Express, and Shearson Lehman Brothers. He served as a member of the President’s Council, Chairman’s Council, Select Consultants Member, and provided leadership to the western division of Shearson Lehman Brothers.

“I appreciate the opportunity to serve this great institution that has an incredible legacy,” Henderson said. “I hold in high esteem President Nadauld, my fellow Trustees and the dedicated faculty and staff of the College.”

A native of Idaho, Henderson and his family relocated to St. George in 1984. He is involved in and serves on numerous boards for business, community and humanitarian organizations, including his involvement as a board member of the Dixie College Foundation. He and his wife, Carrie, are the parents of six children. 

Dixie State College’s Board of Trustees is the institution’s governing board, appointed by the Governor and approved by the Utah State Senate, and acts as a liaison between the college and the community. In addition, the Board of Trustees assists and approves the college’s mission, traditions, strategic planning, policies, budgets, new degree programs and honorary degrees. The Trustees are also involved in alumni relations and fundraising.