Is the Fourth Time the Charm?

The Tigers are in it again. 

Thursday night Hurricane High School captured their fourth straight appearance in the 3A State Championship game. The only difference this year is that they know their opponent won’t be Juan Diego. 

For the past three seasons, it has seemed as though life was on repeat for the Tigers. Each year they matched up against the Soaring Eagles of Juan Diego, and each year they lost. 

2008: Juan Diego 21, Hurricane 18

2009: Juan Diego 12, Hurricane 10

2010: Juan Diego 10, Hurricane 7

A grand total of eight points has separated the Tigers from three state championship banners. But this year, the Tigers are in it again. Juan Diego, however, is not. 

After Thursday night’s victory against Spanish Fork at Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, the Tigers will now prepare for a familiar foe. They know both of the possible opponents all too well. 

Cedar and Desert Hills will battle on the turf of Hansen Stadium Friday night to see which team gets another chance to face the Hurricane Tigers in the state championship.

In Thursday night’s game between the Tigers and the Dons, Hurricane fell behind in the first half. They trailed 7-0 after one quarter. The Tigers got on the board in the second period when Weston Yardley ran the ball from 13 yards out for the score. After Spanish Fork added another touchdown, Hurricane’s Adam Thompson put a touchdown on the board for the Tigers. 

It was a game of opposite powers. Hurricane had a hard time slowing down the Spanish Fork aerial attack. The Dons had 241 of their 390 total yards through the air. Hurricane, on the other hand, had 333 yards on the ground, and 102 yards through the air. 

“The Beast,” Brian Scott, helped power the Tigers into the lead in the third quarter. Scott scored twice in the third period. Hurricane took a 31-21 lead into the fourth quarter. Scott added another touchdown in the fourth to secure the Hurricane victory, and their fourth straight trip to the state championship. 

Scott had one of his biggest games of the season, rushing for 220 of Hurricane’s 333 rushing yards, and scoring three touchdowns. 

Hurricane will now prepare for the winner of tonight’s game between the Cedar Redmen and the Desert Hills Thunder.