Utah Cowboys and Cowgirls Shine Brightly at National Finals Rodeo

Several cowboys and cowgirls from the state of Utah have traveled the rodeo trail all year with one goal, to make it to the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas. Over the past 10 days, eight cowboys and cowgirls did just that. Kaycee Feild of Payson in his fourth trip to the NFR walked away with his first World Title in bareback riding and a brand new RAM truck with the RAM Top Gun Award. 

Kaycee is the son of legendary five-time world title winner Lewis Feild, and it was easy to see just how excited the father and son were to have the title in the Feild name again. Kaycee not only walked away with the average, the world title, the top gun award, but also shattered several arena records. He now holds the record for the most round wins of a NFR at six, along with setting the new record on ten head of horses in the average to 860.5 points. Feild walked away from the 10-day event with $179,327.00 to make his year-end earnings $319,986.00.

The two brothers from Milford, Cody and Jesse Wright, held their own during the ten day stretch. Cody won the tenth round with a 87.5 ride, but it was too late for a chance for another world title. Jesse, the younger brother and winner of the ninth round, came out with determination in his eyes and needed at least 83.5 for a chance to beat out Taos Muncy. Jesse came out spurring and put forth a good effort but only scored 80 points. Jesse still was able to secure the average spot, while Muncy won his second world title. Muncy said of competing against the two brothers, “Anytime you see them on the draw you know they are here to win, and they often do.” Jesse and Cody will continue to travel down the rodeo trail with their other brothers in hopes of returning to the 2012 NFR next December. 

Meanwhile, Miss Rodeo Utah Jamie Udell from Pine Valley secured the first runner-up position in the Miss Rodeo America position behind the contestant from Oregon. 

PRCA World Champions
Kaycee Feild  – Bareback Riding
Luke Branquinho  – Steer Wrestling
Turtle Powell  – Team Roping (Header)
Jhett Johnson  – Team Roping (Heeler)
Taos Muncy  – Saddle Bronc Riding
Tuf Cooper  – Tie-Down Roping 
Shane Proctor  – Bull Riding 

WNFR Average Champions

Kaycee Feild  – Bareback Riding
Luke Branquinho  – Steer Wrestling
Turtle Powell  – Team Roping (Header)
Jhett Johnson  – Team Roping (Heeler)
Jesse Wright  – Saddle Bronc
Matt Shiozawa  – Tie-Down Roping 
L.J. Jenkins  – Bull Riding