DSC loses to HSU 49-13

The Dixie State College football team lost 49-13 to the No. 10-ranked Humboldt State University on Saturday.

With a devastating first quarter, Dixie just couldn’t seem to get the ball into the end zone.

Humboldt State University scored twice in the first 20 minutes of the game, making the score 14-0 Humboldt.

On the next few set of downs, DSC moved the ball down the field but couldn’t seem to connect for a touchdown.

With six minutes left in first the half the Lumberjacks scored another touchdown, making the score 21-0 Humboldt.

Dixie was forced to punt. A penalty was given to Humboldt for roughing DSC’s freshman kicker Robert Metz, general education major from Tucson, Ariz., which returned the ball to DSC with a first down.

“It was a wake-up call for us,” Metz said. “It all comes back to the way we practice during the week and our attitude approaching the game.”

The ball was caught and fumbled by junior receiver Andre Aron and then recovered by HSU. The Lumberjacks drove the ball to the end zone for touchdown No. 4.  

DSC returned the ball to Humboldt’s 10-yard line and continued on for its first touchdown, bringing the score to 28-7 HSU.

But the Lumberjacks quickly came back with a 24-yard run for a touchdown.

DSC received multiple penalties that resulted in a slow third quarter. HBU came back again with a 32-yard return that helped it get closer to its next touchdown in the fourth quarter, which gave Humboldt a score of 49-7.

Miles gained Dixie 47 yards, putting the Red Storm on the 50-yard line and setting DSC up for another touchdown. 

The PAT was blocked and the final score was 49-13 HBU.

DSC plays Simon Frasier at 7 p.m. on Saturday.