DSU football receives upsetting loss to Humboldt State

Dixie State University football hit the road over the weekend to take on nationally-ranked Humboldt State University.

The Storm was seeking revenge after it dropped the final game of the 2014 season to them 71-13. Unfortunately, the story was the same this year. Dixie State dropped to 1-2 on the season with the 66-7 loss.

Senior left tackle Nyles Amelita, an accounting major from Tustin, California, said the team just couldn’t get on the same page.

“We kept shooting ourselves in the foot,” Amelita said. “We made a lot of mistakes, and Humboldt did a good job of capitalizing. We need to play more as a team to get where we want to be.”

Adding to the excitement of the rematch, Humboldt State is the former home of DSU defensive coordinator Shay McClure and special teams coach Will Harris.

The Lumberjacks came into Saturday’s contest boasting a No. 25 national ranking and a 2-0 record.

It was a slow start for both squads as the game opened with four consecutive three-and-outs. Humboldt struck first when DSU couldn’t get a punt off, resulting in a turnover at the nine-yard line. The Jacks found pay dirt just three plays later on a short touchdown pass from quarterback Robert Webber to wide receiver Chase Krivashei.

Led by freshman quarterback Blake Barney, DSU answered right back. Barney orchestrated a 67-yard drive and capped it off with a 33-yard touchdown scamper.

From then on, Humboldt State dominated. The Lumberjacks poured it on and did not let up for the next three quarters.

HSU scored on three consecutive possessions, a 14-yard run, 93-yard pass and a blocked punt that the Jacks returned for a touchdown, putting them up 31-7 going into halftime. The story stayed the same in the second half as Humboldt scored virtually every time its players touched the football.

The Jacks punched in three touchdowns in the third, including another touchdown reception by Krivashei. DSU couldn’t find an answer for HSU all night and were subsequently out-gained in total yardage by the Jacks, 565-281

In the loss, Barney rushed for 66 yards and threw for 85 to pace the Storm. Not a single DSU receiver had more than two receptions, and sophomore cornerback    

Colton Olson led the defense with six tackles.

Running back Orlando Wallace, a freshman from Cathedral City, California, said he was disappointed but optimistic after the game.

“We were well prepared, but we just didn’t execute,” Wallace said. “We will next week.”

DSU has a quick turnaround as they aim to bounce back for homecoming week against Azusa Pacific University Sept. 26 at 6 p.m.