Women’s volleyball takes PLNU 3-1

The Dixie State College women’s volleyball team won the third game of the day on Saturday for Dixie Athletics.

Dixie was keeping up nicely in the first set against Point Loma Nazarene University and always stayed ahead.  PLNU had trouble keeping the ball and missed the shots. 

DSC was on top of its game because of its loss the night before. The Red Storm stayed on the ball and passed to each other well.

Senior outside hitter Brita Jensen, an integrated studies major from Taylorsville, said they did a lot better at minimizing their errors and had better control, which helped take the first set at 25-20.

Freshman middle Janessa Koelliker had a huge block for Dixie at the beginning of the second set.

But the scored remained even. As soon as one team scored the other team came right back. Neither team stayed more than one point behind the other.

Jensen stayed on top of things with multiple game-changing kills. Dixie finally broke the streak of an even score and led the game 19-17.

DSC continued with several tips that gave them points. Mistakes on PLNU’s part helped Dixie win the second set 25-19.

PLNU came around and led third set. But Jensen had more kills that helped Dixie take the lead with 14-13. PLNU didn’t stay behind for long as they came back with tied scores at 19. The Sea Lions took control of the third set and won 22-25.

The fourth set went by fast as Dixie realized this could be its game-winning match. Dixie led 8-5 at the beginning.  PLNU never stood too far behind, but Dixie stayed strong and kept its score up. DSC played every ball and pulled off the win in that final set 25-18, which resulted in beating Point Loma 3-1.

“It definitely was a fun win to come back after [California Baptist University] and to come back and play hard as a team,” Jensen said. “I think we stayed calm, and we tried to keep the control as much as we could.”

The Red Storm improved to 4-7 overall and 2-5 in the Pacific West Conference play.

Dixie goes back to California to play Point Loma again on Friday at 8 p.m.