Football improves on last year’s record

The Dixie State football team says goodbye as its season comes to a close.

DSC has improved this year from last season’s record of 1-10 to this year’s 3-8 overall. 

DSC had big wins with teams like Central Washington University and Western Oregon University. But the games they lost weren’t by much. The Red Storm hope for even more success next year as it is continually changing the program.

“We had a little bit more depth, I think, and a little bit more experience,” said senior safety Cache Morgan, a communication major from West Jordan. “Last year we were really young, and it was hard to play a full game. We still struggled with that at times this year, but I think we definitely improved on that, and we’re just more experienced.”

Dixie ended its year with a loss from Central Washington University. Though Dixie had some struggles this season, the team ended up with some big plays that resulted in victories.

The most memorable moments for some of the players was the win against Central Washington on Oct. 6. DSC has never won this game until now.

“We have had some real close games and close battles with them,” said defensive back coach Richard May. “Beating them at home was probably the highlight of the season.”

Senior safety Cameron Greene, a business administration major from Brigham City, said the most memorable moment for him personally was when senior defensive back Ray Chapman picked up a fumble against Azusa Pacific University. He said it was a big play for the team.

May said the team would have liked to win more games, but he thinks DSC made progress.

“I think we set a standard here,” May said. “We have competed, and we’ve won more games, and I think we are just going to keep building on that.”

May thinks they have accomplished a lot this season, but there were also a lot of losses that were disappointing. But he said as far as growth and improvement from last season goes, the Red Storm definitely met those goals and are on the right track for next season.

Throughout their accomplishments this season, there have been some key players who have excelled.

“I know our offense definitely took big strides from last year, and our O-Line got better,” Morgan said.

He said senior quarterback Griff Robles, senior wide receiver Mitch Frei, junior running back A.J. Johnson, Greene and freshman running back Myles Burton really stood out for Morgan this season. And there have been a lot of guys who stepped up, especially with senior tight end Joe Don Duncan being out with a medical red shirt.

“The good thing is that we have learned from our mistakes, and we are going to get even better, and we will turn it around next year,” May said.

Morgan said the wins are something good that he will remember.

“You know those are the funnest to look back on,” Morgan said. “You don’t ever want to look back on, even if you did play well, the losses. You want to look back on some of the wins. “

May thinks the team took some by surprise by winning big games at home and stepping up from last season.

“But as a whole it was a bit of a disappointment because we definitely didn’t reach our whole potential,” May said.