Music season continues with brass, string recitals

The Dixie State College music department is performing a concert that will take place in the Eccles Concert Hall on Nov. 27 at 7:30.  

It is a free event and will feature DSC students who have been studying chamber music written for their respective instrument groups over the course of this semester.  

Music instructor Jim Hardy said, “These types of concerts happen once each semester, with a new twist this time around, in that we are combining several areas (strings, brass and guitar) into a single concert event.”

Strings

The string chamber section will consist of multiple movements from two great masterpieces of chamber music. One will be a string trio by Erno Dohnanyi, a Hungarian composer, and the other, a string quartet by Dmitri Shostakovich, a 20th century Russian composer.

The strings section consists of two violins, one viola and one cello, the combination of which will provide a beautiful melody to the audience. 

“The Dohnanyi trio begins with an energetic opening movement followed by a serene and restful second movement,” Hardy said. “The Shostakovich quartet is one of the composer’s most well-known compositions.”  

The strings group has worked very hard learning and practicing their pieces.

“Every semester the professors teach music in various formats and they love giving the students an opportunity to show what they’ve learned,” Hardy said. 

Brass

The array of pieces chosen for this recital proves that brass instruments are not strictly for marching bands, but are also for symphonies, orchestras and numerous forms of musical performing arts.

Students of Timothy Francis’ brass chamber music class will be performing numbers by various composers such as Felix Mendelssohn, who wrote “Auf Flügeln des Gesanges” and “Neue Liebe,” and Reinhold Gliere, who wrote the “Russian Sailor’s Dance.” 

Francis said he is looking forward to the “Russian Sailor’s Dance,” which is a classic piece that the Brass group will play. The piece is rousing, fast and sure to get the audience’s attention.

“It is an exiting piece that will bring variety to the recital,” Francis said. “We have a great group of students.”

Students

Ryan Tommer, a senior music education major from St. George, will be performing for the last time with the ensemble. He said he has had a great experience and he loves performing.

“This group has been through a lot,” he said. “The group fluctuates in numbers, but you get to know each other and it really has been a lot of fun.”

Even though Tommer has had a good time, he said it’s always nice to finish a performance.

“From the perspective of someone who is playing, and as you play, you get tired, you tend to look forward to the end,” he said. “Overall, we are anticipating this recital.”

Written for Dixie Sun News by Parker Cracroft