Poll shows students prefer pirating to purchasing

Most students would rather get their music for free. 

Students talked about how they get their music. Whether it’s from iTunes or from a separate online source to save a few bucks, it is still attainable in some way. 

Dixie Sun News Polled random students from around campusto find out where they get their music.

Out of the 79 students who were asked, 46 responded by saying they download music from separate sources.

Janie Lundgreen, a freshman general education major from Monroe said she uses other sources.

“I just convert files from YouTube,” Lundgreen said. “It’s really easy. There are websites that do it for you.”

Bryce Feist, a freshman general education major from Meridian, Idaho, said he uses free sources, but they are never consistent. 

“I like to use FrostWire,” Feist said. “It’s been around for a while, unlike LimeWire. I was so upset when that closed down.”

Feist said downloading music from shady sites gets shady results.

“Sometimes you get weird background noise, but at least it’s free,” Feist said.

Lundgreen also said she hated paying for music.

“I was fine with it until iTunes started charging more for music,” Lungreen said. “It used to be under a dollar to buy a song, but the price went up and it’s annoying to pay for something I can get for free.”

With the mentality of, “Why buy something when you can get it for free,” some students feel differently.

Michael Peters, a freshman general education major from West Valley, said he likes to buy his music. 

“I just use iTunes,” Peters said. “It’s fast and easy, and you can preview the song so you know exactly what you are going to get.”

Peters said his experiences with downloading in other ways have gotten him bad copies of songs.

“Sometimes the sound is just off,” Peters said. “Plus, buying music is the more honest way to do it.”

Twenty-two other students agreed with Peters in purchasing music through iTunes is the right thing to do. 

The other 11 students said they continue to buy CDs.

Karisa Larsen, a freshman general education major from Henderson, Nev., said she prefers CDs.

“It’s better to have a hard copy because then that way I can still download it onto my computer and listen to it in my car,” Larsen said. 

Through hard copies, and digital files, music is easily accessible.