Bog snorkeling, wife carrying among strangest sports

Everyone in the United States has heard of football, baseball and basketball.

Depending on a person’s viewpoint, some sports outside professional leagues can be categorized as just plain weird. For example, North Americans aren’t too fond of cricket, and few South Americans have even heard of hockey.

At Dixie State College, bizarre sports aren’t things that are avidly played. So, when asked about the top five weird sports, students at Dixie State College didn’t always know how to react.

1. Man vs. Horse

If you thought the sport had anything to do with strength, then you’d be wrong. The yearly Man vs. Horse Marathon requires stamina and agility. Taking place in the town of Llanwrtyd Wells, UK, contestants have to race more than 22 miles, with runners competing against riders on horseback.

“I’m from England originally,” said Chris Terrell, a freshman general education major from London. “Man vs. Horse is still one of the most bizarre sports I’ve ever seen or heard of.”

2. Wife Carrying

First introduced in Finland, wife carrying is an actual sport where male competitors race while carrying a female teammate. The goal is for the male to carry the female through a special obstacle course in the fastest time. Major competitions are held in Sonkajarvi, Finland; Monona, Wis.; and in Marquette, Mich.

“We used to play it when we were younger,” said Aaron Young, a sophomore criminal justice major from Allegan, Mich. “My friends and I used to carry my younger sisters around the neighborhood. It was fun.”

3.  Bog Snorkeling

Even though it does seem kind of gross, bog snorkeling is a sporting event where competitors swim in a water-filled trench cut through a bog. Competitors must wear snorkels and flippers and can only complete the course by swimming with their flippers and not using traditional swimming techniques.

“That sounds disgusting,” said Anna James, a freshman general education major from Salt Lake City. “I can’t imagine playing something like that, ever.”

4. Toe wrestling

A popular activity for children, toe wrestling is now a competitive sport. The World Toe Wrestling Competition first started at a pub in Derbyshire, UK. Locals thought it would be a great idea to hold a competition where individuals lock toes together and force their opponent’s foot to the ground.

“I’ve toe wrestled before,” Terrell said. “My cousins and I do it during family gatherings and whatnot.”

5. Cheese rolling

Cheese rolling is probably the simplest sport out there. From the top of hill, a round of Double Gloucester cheese is rolled and competitors chase after it. The first individual across the finish line at the bottom of the hill wins and gets to take home the cheese.

“That sounds extremely odd,” said Alex Johnson, a junior biology major from Henderson, Nev. “But you know, I haven’t tried it, so I’m not going to judge. Even still, I’ll stick to soccer.”