DSUSA using social media to up D-Week attendance

The Dixie State University Student Association is focusing more on student involvement when it comes to this year’s D-Week.

By using social media and talking to every student they see, the D-Week committee members are making sure students get involved in all the planned activities.

“College is some of the best times in a person’s life; there’s no reason not to get involved,” said Mazie Ludlow, a junior communication major from Turlock, Calif., and DSU Student Association vice president of public relations.

This year, the D-Week committee is working toward making this the biggest, best D-Week yet, Ludlow said.

Monday kicks off with a chalk drawing contest at the fountain at 9 a.m. Chalk will be provided for participants.   

Students are expected to draw representations of the Dixie Spirit, and the best art will win a prize.

“There will also be music and free snacks for anyone who comes,” said DSUSA Social Chair Ashley Graf, a junior integrated studies major from St. George. “We’re expecting a lot of people to come out to the kickoff; it’s a big hit every year.”

Los Angeles comedian Samuel Comroe will perform Monday evening. Comroe has been in the top 10 at the World Series of Comedy, which is held in Las Vegas. The two-hour show is free to all students and will take place at 7:30 p.m.

Students and community members will have the chance to go to one of the oldest traditions at Dixie on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. Held in the Cox Auditorium, the D-Queen pageant is $2 with a student I.D.

An outdoor concert at the Amphitheater next to the fountain will take place on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Aside from enjoying free music, students have the opportunity to win a new television.

Students will have a chance to help put DSU’s name in the history books Thursday at Hansen Stadium. For the fourth year in a row, DSU is going to break a world record. The event is free to all students.

Another big event during D-Week is the Great Race. The race puts students and alumni against each other in an obstacle course that stretches across campus. The obstacle course will include running, inline skating, basketball shooting, biking and other challenges. The Great Race takes place Friday at 6 p.m.

“The Great Race is probably one of the most focused-on things during D-Week,” said Jordon Sharp, director of student involvement and leadership. “I expect this year’s Great Race to be one of the biggest ones yet. Everyone is excited for it, and the teams have been working really hard.”

Sharp said this year the DSUSA used social media to inform students about the Great Race, as well as to recruit them, ensuring that everyone knows about the event. This year, more teams have signed up to participate than previous years.

After the Great Race, the D-Week Carnival will take place at the Hansen Stadium. The carnival will have 20-30 participating clubs, each with their own booths. People can enjoy games, rides and food at this family-oriented event.

One of the biggest D-Week events is Saturday’s D-Day Dance. The dance, which starts at 9 p.m., will be held in the Gardner Student Center Ballroom and is free to students.

True Rebel Night, which is a semi-annual tradition at DSU, will follow the dance. Students will head to the fountain at midnight and grab a partner to kiss in the fountain. A souvenir will be given to the new True Rebels after they walk out of the fountain.

With these major events planned, plus others, this D-week will be one for everyone to enjoy.

“We encourage students to come out to the events,” Ludlow said. “There’s going to be free food, good music and tons of chances to win some prizes.”