X96 personalities come to DSU campus

Salt Lake City Radio personalities came to Dixie State University for a live broadcast and took the time to give students advice about their career choices.

Gina Barberi, Bill Allred and Kerry Jackson from X96’s “Radio From Hell” show were on campus Friday for a live broadcast of their show.

Barberi, Allred and Jackson told audio students what it was like to work for a radio station and gave them tips that will help them progress in their field of choice.

“Being involved with the school radio station is a good start,” Barberi said. “I did radio as a student at the University of Utah, and it was a great experience.”

Neither Barberi nor Allred planned on being radio personalities.

Barberi only participated at the station on campus because it was fun and something to do. It wasn’t until she got an internship at a station that she decided radio was for her.

“My dream was to become a news anchor,” Barberi said. “I interned at different news stations, and things just did not fit.”

Allred tried acting, but it did not turn out like he thought it would, and he started working at a bar. He then realized he did not like the environment and chose a career in radio.

“Radio definitely slowed down the road to alcoholism for me,” Allred said.

Jackson, on the other hand, knew he wanted to be on the radio since he was in middle school.

“I would talk to adults and they would say they didn’t know what they wanted to do for a career,” Jackson said. “I was in middle school and knew, without a doubt, I was going to be on the radio.”

Jackson went to a broadcast school for only three months when he was offered a job at a local news station.

They addressed students’ questions about what steps they can take to have a successful radio career.

“The No. 1 rule in radio, to make sure you have a long career, is not to make your sponsors mad,” Jackson said. 

Students were also concerned about whether jobs are available in radio today.

“Stations are using fewer people now,” Allred said. “Computers are taking over everything.”

Allred said computers have changed the way radio is ran. Companies want to save money, and having computers lets stations keep money and still get the job done. 

Barberi said the job at the station is great, but she has long days.

“My day starts off at 3 a.m. every day,” Barberi said. “I then go to the station at 5:30 a.m. to get things ready for the show. We are then online from 6-10 a.m., and then we go to parties and charity events.” 

All three agree radio is hard work with bad hours, but, in the end, it is worth it. They are glad they chose to pursue the career.