DSU basketball teams tip off season with success

If Tuesday night was any indication of the future, the Dixie State University men’s and women’s basketball teams are poised for successful seasons.

DSU hosted its third annual Red Storm Tip-off Tuesday, highlighted by scrimmages for both teams.

The women’s team started the night with an intrasquad scrimmage consisting of two eight-minute halves. The team split into two teams and displayed the desire of first-year head coach Catherria Turner to push the ball up the court and pressure the opposing team on defense.

The white team won the scrimmage 38-35, led by senior guard Haley Holmstead, who had 15 points. Junior guard Nanea Woods led the red team with nine points.

The men’s scrimmage also featured fast-paced basketball. The four-time defending Pacific West Conference champions gave the crowd a preview of the exciting brand of basketball the Red Storm plan on bringing to Burns Arena this season.

After two 10-minute halves, the white team defeated the red team 54-47. Leading the way for the white team was sophomore guard Robbie Nielson with 13 points. Senior forward Dalton Groskreutz led the red team with 14 points.

The Red Storm men open their season  Nov. 1 in Las Vegas against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. The women travel to Cedar City to take on Southern Utah University Oct. 30 at 7:30 p.m.