Losing streak continues for men’s soccer

A quick comeback by Point Loma Nazarene University upset Dixie State University as it defeated the Storm 2-1 on Saturday.

Both teams shared possession in the first half, though neither team could net a goal. Freshman forward Michael Gray kicked in a goal to improve the score to 1-0 for Dixie in the second half. Point Loma quickly made up that deficit with a goal of its own just minutes later.

Trying to withstand the Sea Lion’s defense, the Storm pushed to get another goal. As if one wasn’t enough, PLNU took control of the game with another goal. 

“We had everything that we needed to win the game other than finishing,” said goalkeeper Tyler Walters, a senior criminal justice major from Ogden. “Yet again that bites us in the butt, and we come out with a loss, and they get the (win).”

Point Loma defeated Dixie State 2-1. The Sea Lions improved to 7-5-3 overall and 5-2-3 in the conference. The Storm dropped to 2-9-3 overall and 1-8-2 in the conference.

The Storm now prepare to take on Westminster College Saturday for the last game of the season. This game was originally scheduled in September but was rescheduled due to lightning. This will be the first time the Storm have ever played Westminster.

Head coach Danny Ortiz said it is expected to be somewhat of a rivalry because Westminster is the only team in Utah the Storm play.

“We are going into practice (to work) on shots and to just keep…trying to do better,” Walters said.

Walters said the Storm will be preparing for this game by continuing to work on keeping their shape in the back. He said that is one thing they have worked on in the past few weeks and has improved a lot.

Walters said the team has been working on defense instead of relying on the defenders to do all the work.

He said they have been playing their midfielders up, and it has been working for them. He hopes Dixie can keep that up for the next game it plays.

“We are just going to go to work just like any other week, and we prepare just like any other game,” Ortiz said. “Hopefully we can pull off a win for these seniors and send them out the right way on their night.”

The Storm play Sunday at 4 p.m. at Hansen Stadium.