Campus to Community service project gives students chance to give back

Dixie State University’s Campus to Community program will be holding a service project Thursday for all Dixie State University students. 

Campus to Community provides DSU students with opportunities to serve the community. Dixie’s service council holds one large scale service project each semester; however, previous projects have been so successful that the committee will be organizing two events this semester. 

The first service project will be Thursday at the Ridgetop Complex, which is located at the old St. George Municipal airport, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. The goal of the project is to remove the runway lights and debris from the old hangars. A bus will be meeting in front of the DSU Student Activity Center at 3:30 p.m. the day of the event for transportation.

“The project is simple, but it’s a project that’s more than a mile long, so we need as many hands as possible,” said John Brooksby, coordinator of clubs and service.

The details on the second service project have not yet been released. 

Past Campus to Community projects have included planting trees for the Southern Utah Water Conservation Gardens, building a Habitat for Humanity home, holding a book drive to benefit literacy in local schools, and helping with several “CANSTOCK” food drives for the Dixie Care and Share. Dixie’s Campus to Community program is sponsored by the Dixie State University Student Association, DSU Service and Community Engagement Center, and the DSU Athletics Department.

“I think that service is extremely important,” said Chantell Parkin, a freshman psychology major from Payson. “It gets students involved, and everyone loves that feeling you get after helping someone. I’m excited to participate in the Campus to Community service project.”

Last semester’s Campus to Community event was partnered with United Way Dixie, and volunteers packaged more than 50,000 macaroni and cheese meals for local Utah Food Banks. Over 500 volunteers showed up for the food packaging event, and Brooksby said he hopes just as many participate in the airport clean up. Brooksby said service coordinators are hoping this upcoming project, and other projects in the future, are just as successful.

“This generation of students is innately service oriented,” said Jordon Sharp, director of student involvement and leadership. “Campus to Community events provide students a way to directly give back to the community that provides so much support to the university.” 

Every Dixie club has to coordinate and follow through with a service project at least once a year. To stay up to date with service opportunities, join the Dixie Serves club. Students can also check the service calendar found on the DSU webpage.