Adams wins revitalized Native American Pageant

The 19th Native American pageant, which has been inactive for four years, was brought back to life this semester.

Five contestants competed for the crown in Dixie State University’s Miss Native American Pageant Thursday. Each contestant received a tuition scholarship for DSU. The winner, Crissie Adams, a junior psychology major from Monroe, received the largest amount in stipends. Ashley Holiday won first runner-up and Sootaaii Bigwolf won second runner-up.

“[The pageant] is a chance for our Native students on campus to really showcase their traditional teachings and to share that with the community, but also be leaders and examples to the young girls out there,” said Kristine Whittaker, DSU’s Multicultural Diversity Center coordinator, who oversaw and organized the pageant.

The four categories in which the contestants competed included modern talent, traditional talent, evening wear and on-stage questions. The modern talent performances ranged from singing to poetry reading, and the traditional talents and questions involved the contestants’ cultural backgrounds. 

For her modern talent, Adams sang “All of Me” by John Legend and performed a song in sign language for her traditional talent.

“I’ve been planning [for the pageant] for such a long time and it feels so good to have this pay of,” Adams said.