DSU golf teams vie for conference championship

The Dixie State University men’s and women’s golf teams vied for the Pacific West Conference Championship this week.

The women are coming off their best result of the season, which was 5th at a Western New Mexico University-hosted tournament. The men started the season strong with a second-place finish in a tournament held in St. George, and they have yet to get back to that mark.

Women

The women took their best finish as a hopeful precursor to the conference championships.

The tournament began Monday in Ewa Beach, Hawaii. The team was sitting in fifth place after the first day, 25 strokes behind first place.

Sophomore Shelby Madden led the team tied for No. 15 overall with 11 strokes over par. Sophomore Kellie Busse shot 12 over par and was tied for 18th place. 

The team shot 337, 49 over par, in the first round. University of Hawaii-Hilo led the tournament with only 24 shots over par.

Junior Haley Dunn and sophomore Madalynne Fedoruk were tied for 20th with 13 strokes over par.

The women finish out their tournament Tuesday in Hawaii.

Men

The DSU men’s golf team has talent, and it was looking to prove it.

DSU came up short of the Pacific West Conference championship trophy by placing second in the season’s final tournament but still won some individual accolades.

Sophomore Kenny You placed second overall by shooting a 218 after 54 holes but lost the playoff hole for the individuals championship. You lost after hooking his ball into the rough and the victor Drew Nelson from Dominican University two-putted his way to victory.

However, You ended up taking home the hardware for the PacWest Player of the Year. You’s year of golf rewrote the record books for DSU by having the best average score per round and being the first golfer from Dixie State to take home the conference Player of the Year award.

Junior Hayden Christensen finished fourth in the tournament and earned first-team PacWest Conference honors.

The Red Storm finished in second place, just behind University of Hawaii-Hilo.

Head coach Brad Sutterfield also took home the PacWest Conference coach of the year award.