Dixie see’s first win against Menlo

Dixie State University saw its first win against Menlo College on Saturday, defeating the Oaks 28-6 during  Homecoming weekend.

Dixie started out strong as Ben Longshore threw the first touchdown for 19 yards to junior receiver Nate Stephens on a three-play drive. The Storm’s defense quickly stopped Menlo’s offense, only allowing it to gain a few yards on its first drive.

In this game, the Storm continued their double quarterback offense as sophomore quarterback Hayden Gavett came in. Gavett threw senior wide receiver Colton Peterson the ball for a touchdown with five minutes left in the half, increasing Menlo’s deficit, 14-0. 

“I really like the combination of Ben and Hayden,” said junior Robert Metz, a business major from Tucson, Arizona. “It keeps the defense on their heels because they’re completely different quarterbacks.” 

Menlo didn’t have an opportunity to put any points on the board until the beginning of the second half. 

Senior running back Jake Fohn had a 12-yard run to the end zone, but Menlo’s senior, Christian Daog’s kick failed, resulting in a gain of only six points for the Oaks.

The Storm had a couple opportunities to score, but fumbled the ball in crucial moments in the red zone. But the Storm’s momentum never wavered as the Longshore-Stephens duo was putting up points for the Storm. 

In the fourth quarter, Longshore completed a one-yard pass to Stephens for a touchdown.

The Storm had the same routine three minutes later as Longshore completed another pass to Stephens for nine yards, resulting in another touchdown for the Storm.

The Storm defeated the Oaks in a 2 hour and 45 minute game. This was the most attendance the Storm had seen since the opening game at Hansen Stadium.  

“I think we made mistakes and didn’t play our best game, but we fought hard and found a way to win and that’s the most important thing,” said Gavett said, a business major from Corona, California. “Now we need to build off this and get another win.”

Linebacker Metz led the team with 11 solo tackles and four assists for 15 tackles overall. Metz received Great Northwestern Athletic Conference Player of the Week for his achievements this game.

“Honestly, it was a combination of being placed in a good position to make plays and trusting my assignment,” Metz said. “Everyone else on defense played well and things just happened to come my way.”

Metz said it was a far from perfect performance despite the team’s success.

The Storm have another home game on Saturday against South Dakota School of Mines and Technology at 6 p.m. at Hansen Stadium.