Soccer has Senior Day success

Dixie State University soccer enjoyed two wins in final games for seniors. Both men’s and women’s soccer saw seniors headline the games with goals scored.

The games were highlighted with strong offensive attacks and goals from multiple seniors on both teams. There were 10 seniors, five from both men’s and women’s, whom were ending their college soccer careers at DSU.

Women’s Soccer

The DSU women were up to the task of taking on Fresno Pacific University Saturday afternoon with a 4-1 victory in which two seniors scored.

Senior forwards Mindi Beckstrom and Jennifer Mason both scored, Mason scoring her Pacific West Conference-leading 12th goal of the season.

Many players expressed their excited feelings about the final game of the season for DSU.

“I just want to put it all out there,” Mason said. “I have been better than I was last year and that’s all I could have hoped for. Just to help the team as much as I could, it’s all you can hope for.”

DSU fell behind early when freshman goalkeeper Danica Nusink misplayed a crossing ball that deflected into the DSU goal.

The Storm would respond quickly in the 13th minute on a headed goal from freshman forward Darian McCloy.

DSU had plenty of opportunities by out-shooting Fresno 12-7 and having the advantage in corner kicks 7-3.

“Playing on senior day was a lot of fun,” said Beckstrom, a senior communication major from Nibley. “Coming here as a freshman in 2010, I have been a part of many exciting moments. Being able to score the final goal of my final game as a member of the DSU women’s soccer team was by far the most monumental and emotional.”

The Storm finished their season with a 10-7-1 record overall and 8-4 in conference play.

“I had the privilege of lacing up my cleats for the last time with the girls I love,” Beckstrom said. “I love the game and ending on that moment was bitter sweet.”

Men’s Soccer

The Dixie State University men’s soccer team ended the season with a 4-1 victory Saturday over Fresno Pacific University.

It was a senior day for five DSU players, and the team put in the effort to gain a last victory for the squad, said head coach Danny Ortiz.

“It felt awesome,” said senior defender David Stirland, an accounting major from Hurricane. “All the seniors that have been together for a long time and to have one last shot against the second-ranked team in the conference, we showed that we can compete with everybody.”

Stirland led the team with the energy playing up at the forward attacking position where he netted two goals. Both goals came in the last ten minutes to seal off the win for DSU.

The scoring started in the first half with an own-goal caused by Fresno. DSU led 1-0 at the half.

In the second half the Storm kept the pressure on Fresno with a strong defensive back line and keeping the ball in the offensive half of the field.

Junior midfielder Santiago Alejandro joined Stirland with his headed goal in the 68th minute. The goal came from a long throw in by sophomore defender Bryan Baugh and a headed pass from junior defender Jorge Echavarria.

“The sad part is that we have played this way all year,” Ortiz said. “We just haven’t been able to finish our opportunities and that was the difference today.”

The win was the first win for the team at home and its second of the season. DSU finishes the season with a record of 2-12-2 overall and 2-9-1 in Pacific West Conference play.

“Coach prepared us for this game,” said Stirland. “We all came together in the right moment and it all worked out today.”