Dixie State grabs 2 wins in weekend home games

Article by Karli Kuhn

Dixie State University’s volleyball team beat the last two of the four Hawaii opponents during a weekend rally.

The team played Chaminade University Sunday night as its final home game of the season.

“It was a struggle at the beginning,” said middle Nicole Koehler, a senior communication major from Sandy. “We weren’t doing the things we talked about in the locker room before the game. We didn’t do the little things like serve and pass well.”

Koehler said through the short comings, the Storm worked hard as a team and knew this was a do-or-die game.

The team pulled off a win in five sets 3-2  (29-27, 21-25, 21-25, 25-19, 15-8).

Junior outside hitter Edithza Urias led the team with 18 kills. Overall the team had 65 kills.

DSU honored its seniors and won 3-1 against Hawaii Pacific University Saturday.

Dixie State was confident in the beginning, winning the first two sets 25-14 and 25-20.

The team fell short when it lost the third set 23-25. It came back to win the last set 25-19 putting it at 18-8 overall and 15-3 in conference play.

Senior outside hitter Maddie Rex led the team with 14 kills. Sophomore middle blocker Lindsey Jones closely followed with 13 kills. Overall the team had 55 kills and 12 blocks.

Junior setter Shelby Sorenson led the team with 27 assists.

The women’s volleyball season is coming to an end soon; overall their season has been successful, head coach Robyn Felder said.

Felder said, “It’s a sad thing and an exciting thing, we really have had a great year and done great.”

The team has one more away game where it can hopefully win and end the season strong.

“Every game is a championship game as far as I’m concerned,” Felder said.

The crowd cheered on DSU while the teams battled for victory; DSU was able to hold its own against Hawaii Pacific University.

“This has been a great season,” Koehler said. “We wanted to win on senior night and finish with a bang. We’ve played together really well—this is our year.”

DSU beat Hawaii Pacific 3-1 the last time they played them in Hawaii.

“The team started out decent, but they have really grown and matured, their leadership has really stepped up,” Felder said.

There is only one more conference game against Fresno Pacific University, in Fresno on Nov. 15 at 4 p.m.