Women’s tennis starts strong in season play

Women’s tennis took the advantage this weekend on a three-match trip to Arizona.

First, the team aced a four-match stretch against Mesa Community College, winning 9-0.

All three doubles matches went flawless including 8-0 sweep from doubles team senior Stormy Dvorak and sophomore Zenja Draca.

There were also six singles matches won by the Storm in straight sets.

Saturday Dixie went up against Colorado State Pueblo in a close match losing 4-5.  

Ashley Anderson, a sophomore art major from Sandy, said the team had its highs and lows this weekend.

“We can definitely improve on playing more aggressively because when we play our strengths we see success,” she said.

Anderson and senior Sierra Smith won their doubles match 8-3.

Dvorak won all of her matches, including singles and doubles, while Draca lost by only one point in her second set tiebreaker.

Head coach Eric Pelton said the team has done really well for the first matches of the season. 

“We have been able to see some area where we need to focus on and improve going forward,” Pelton said. “They have had some good opportunities, and we need to make sure we closing out the match.”

Sunday the Storm went up against Glendale Community College and received its second win of the weekend 9-0.

Smith and Dvorak both had perfect 6-0 sets, and all three doubles team matches won as well.

“There is always more that we can work on but they are, as a team, in a good place right now,” Pelton said.

The Storm are 4-2 in season play.

The team is playing well in every match, Pelton said.

“They are focused on their goals and determined to make it to the conference tournament in April,” Pelton said.

The team has 10 more matches in its remaining season.

The team will play today at 3:30 p.m. against Southern Utah University.