A Recap of Soccer, Volleyball and Cross Country Action This Weekend

Where’s your lead?

This past week,Don’t start a sentence off with a time element several of Dixie State‘s University’s sports teams saw action. The cross country team opened theirits season in Arizona, the volleyball team played in a tournament in Los Angeles, and both men’s and women’s soccer won in their season openers. This works well as the nut graf, but you need something short and sweet as an attention getter for the lead.

Men’s Soccer

DSU dominated Metro State<use full name in the first game of the season on Friday night, winning by a score of 5-2. In the eighth minute, Gabby Medina, a freshman midfielder from Mesquite, Nevadacomma scored the first goal of the game. Alex Galvan, a senior midfielder from San Antonio, Texas, scored in the 17th minute. Jorge Echavarria, a senior defender from Oakley, Californiacomma was the next to score, getting a goal in the 34th minute. Frankie Mallek, a sophomore forward from Yuma, Arizonacomma scored in the 45th minute, and Santiago Alejandro, a senior forward from Oakley, California, scored in the 82nd minute to lift the Red Storm to victory. This paragraph is pretty repetitive. I don’t think you need all these details.

this is a pretty large paragraph. 

DSU set a single game school record for first half goals, and tied a school record for goals in one game. DSU The Storm out-shot MSU 14-6, and goalkeeper Bradley Trella, a junior from Chandler, Arizonacomma made four saves.

Unless you quote them you only need position and year in school, All quotes and captions need full ID tags
Women’s Soccer

The DSU’s women’s soccer season officially [got underway] This is pretty weird wording, let’s try something else on Saturday, with the Red Storm shutting out Antelope Valley 2-0 on the road in Lancaster, California. 

Junior nursing major Alexis Torres from Tucson, Arizona comma scored DSU’s first goal just 11 minutes in, giving the storm a 1-0 lead early on. Later in the game, DSU The Storm would put the proverbial icing on the cake later in the game with a goal from Kaisa Rogers, a senior nursing major from Springville.

Goalkeeper Danica Nusink, a sophomore from Springville, combined with goalkeeper Stacie Gubler, a senior nursing major from Las Vegas, Nevada,Las Vegas is a dateline, so you don’t need the state to stop a total of 10 shots between them both. DSU out-shot AVU 20-10.

Volleyball

DSU’s volleyball squad had little trouble with the Molloy College Lions on Saturday night in the California State Los Angeles Invitational, beating MC in three sets, with scores of 25-16, 25-14, and 25-19, improving their its record to 2-1 on the season, while Molloy fell to 0-3. long sentence

DSU trailed a mere two times during theirits entire match with Molloy, while posting theirits highest hitting percentage of the season at .440.

Sophomore right side hitter Brette Anderson, a biology major from Prescott, Arizona, led DSU in kills with 10 total. Junior outside hitter Gianna Kioa, a business major from Phoenix, Arizona, registered seven kills, while teammate and fellow outside hitter Delayne Daniel, a junior computer science major from American Fork, had seven kills as well. Daniel also let the team in digs, recording nine. Kailey Frei, a junior elementary education major from Orem, contributed to the offense from the setter position, registering 25 assists.

Cross Country

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams opened up their seasons on the road in Flagstaff, Arizona comma this past last weekend, with the women’s race 2.6 miles long and the men’s 4.5 miles long. 

The DSU women raced to first place on Saturday with a total team time of 1:25:17. Junior Skyler Storie from Cottonwood, Arizona comma repeated as winner in the open division race with a time of 15:39, improving on last year’s time of 15:53. Freshman Megan Sidwell from Smithfield finished in second place for the Red Storm with a time of 16:54. Sophomore Katy Brandon from Lawrenceville, Georgia comma finished in fourth place with a time of 17:23.

The DSU men finished in third place as a team, with Yonas Desta, a sophomore from Salt Lake City commafinishing with the best time out of all the all the DSU men runners with a 24:48 time, good for seventh place. Junior Shi-Quan Nettingham from Las Vegas, Nevada grabbed ninth place with a 25:12 time.

Next up, DSU will travel to Riverside, California comma for the CBU <spell out on first reference.Invitational which will take place on October 3rd.Oct. 3 2015 <–AP style 

Did you get any quotes at all? We have to have at least two sources for each when we publish. 

Go back through and make sure you have the correct ID tags like Karli said above. You only need their position and year in school if you’re just talking about their stats or a play. If you quote the athlete, you need their year in school, major and hometown. Go back through and change what you need to–I didn’t mark all of these that I saw.

Are there any plays that stand out? This is very stat heavy, and I know it’s harder to write about away games, but once you conduct interviews you should be able to find out more interesting details about the games.