Dixie State shuts out Hawai’i Hilo 3-0

Dixie State  won its third Pacific West Conference match in a row with a 3-0 victory over University of Hawai’i Hilo Saturday.

Three different DSU players scored, while out-shooting UHH 17-1. The first goal of the match came in the 16th minute. After a throw in by freshman defender Nichole Mertz, junior forward Megan Marchbanks passed the ball to senior forward Jasmine Arollo, who shot the ball past the UHH goalkeeper. 

DSU scored again in the 42nd minute when senior midfielder Kaisa Rogers, who earned offensive player of the week honors for her performance in both matches last week, scored her third goal in two matches to put the Red Storm up 2-0. Sophomore forward Darian McCloy was credited with the assist.

In the 85th minute, DSU added a third goal with a penalty kick from junior defender Alexis Torres. Torres’s goal was the last goal of the match, and the Red Storm were victorious with a score of 3-0.

Sophomore goalkeeper Sarah Beecher played the entire first half, but did not face even one shot on goal. Senior goalkeeper Stacie Gubler played the entire second half, and only faced one shot on goal.

The win improved DSU’s record to 5-5 overall and 3-3 in PacWest play. The UHH Vulcans dropped to 4-2 overall and 3-2 in PacWest play.

DSU’s next four matches are away, beginning at Notre Dame de Namur University Thursday at 11 a.m. in Belmont, California, followed by a match at Academy of Art University on Saturday in San Francisco.