Girls’ night raises awareness, provides resources to combat sexual assault

Getting pedicures, facials and learning about sexual assault resources have one thing in common: girls’ night at Dixie State University.

Students from The Skin Institute pampered women with facials and pedicures after a spokesperson from the Dove Center briefly spoke about its resources available to the community Thursday night in the Gardner Student Center living room. 

The Dove Center is a local organization that aims to advocate for sexual assault victims. 

Shelby Thomas, a sophomore nursing major from Payson, is on the service branch of DSU’s student association and organized the event. She said she wanted to plan an event that would grab attention and also give students the chance to lean about sexual violence.

“I feel like it’s really important to make sexual assault and domestic violence relevant on college campuses because that is the age where [many people are at risk],” Thomas said.

Four massage tables were set up, and students who wanted to get facials were asked to sign a list. TSI students called women up when they were ready to give them facials while those who were waiting mingled and snacked on cookies.

Melissa Demacedo, a junior nursing major from St. George, said she came to the event with her friend to escape studying. She said one of her friends has experienced sexual assault.

“It’s just horrible what some people do,” she said.

The Dove Center has office hours in the Women’s Resource Center Wednesdays from 3-5 p.m. The WRC is located on the fourth floor of the Holland Centennial Commons and serves to help women achieve their academic and professional goals. Although the center does good for women in the community, it doesn’t get as much support as it should, said Morgan Kirk, a senior integrated studies major from Las Vegas.

“I feel as though no one really recognizes them,” Kirk said. “They’re in a little corner in the Holland Building, so it feels good for all of us to come out (and support an event like this).”

Thomas said serving the community in this sense is rewarding. 

“If I can just help one person—as cheesy as that sounds—get help or get the things they need, that’s what it means to me,” she said.