DSU baseball routs Sunbirds

Dixie State University baseball extended its winning streak to nine after winning both games of a doubleheader against Fresno Pacific University Friday. 

Both games saw the Storm score in double figures behind a combined 25 hits. Redshirt senior first baseman Sam Hall led the Storm going a combined 6-9 with 11 RBIs and three runs scored. 

Senior pitcher Jeremy Alderman allowed just one run and five hits in his five innings of work, earning him his third win of the season.

DSU scored nine runs in the first three innings of play before tacking on six runs in the home half of the fifth inning to take a commanding 15-1 lead. The Sunbirds would respond with two runs in the sixth, but the deficit would prove to be unsurmountable as the Storm cruised to the win, 15-3.

Game two was similar to the first game of the day as DSU jumped on the Sunbirds to the tune of eight runs in the first three innings. Hall put his stamp on the second inning with a two-out grand slam. Hall would finish a double shy of hitting for the cycle in the game.

Senior pitcher Kolton Brost allowed only one run on four hits while throwing a complete game, giving him two wins on the season. 

The Storm added a run in each of the fifth and sixth innings as they earned the victory, 10-1. 

With the wins, DSU is now just a half-game behind California Baptist University for first place in the Pacific West Conference. The Storm lost three of four games to CBU earlier in the season.         

The Storm will look to sweep the Sunbirds in the rubber match of the series, which will take place Saturday at noon at Bruce Hurst Field.