DSU ranks low in student loan debt

If students need to borrow money, they should borrow for their needs, not for a lifestyle. 

J.D. Robertson, the executive director of financial aid and scholarships, stressed that students tend to borrow money without realizing how much they actually borrow.

“Students should realize, if I’m choosing to borrow, make sure every one of those borrowed dollars COUNT,” Robertson said. “These funds should not be used for a nicer car or nicer clothes and so forth.” 

Though student loan debt can be overwhelming, there are ways to cut your previous debt and prevent future debt.

In a study by LendEDU, Dixie State University was ranked No. 37 out of 1,300 colleges and Universities in the country and No. 3 in Utah alone as having the lowest student loan debt per borrower. 

Though DSU charges less expensive tuition than other schools, there still are students struggling to get by without accumulating any debt.

DSU provides many scholarships, such as the Resident Scholarship, the Non-Resident Scholarship, and academic department scholarships. At financialaid.dixie.edu, there are plenty of scholarships to apply for, and more can be found on other websites such as Scholarship Owl. Students can receive help applying for these scholarships by visiting the Financial Aid and Scholarships Student Service Center, located at the George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles on the first floor of the Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons building.

Though it takes a lot of work and preparation not to have debt, it is possible.

Jayson Foster, a junior biology major from Glenwood, is currently debt-free because of the Presidential Academic Scholarship, which was awarded to him for his 4.0 GPA and his ACT score of 28 through Duchesne High School. In the future, he hopes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will help him receive Pell Grants.

FASFA is a free application available to students through the U.S. Government. Through the FASFA program low-income students receive Pell-Grants that they do not need to be paid back. 

Foster said: “My brothers went through school without having debt, so I know it is possible for me because of their example.”

Haidyn Noland, a freshman general education major from Salt Lake City, received Pell Grants through the FAFSA and an academic scholarship to help pay her way through school. She plans to keep earning scholarships and work through school.

For students struggling with student loan debt, DSU is happy to help. The Financial Aid and Scholarship Student Service Center can assist students in understanding their student loan debt as well as the options they have to cover costs.

“We encourage students to create a budgeting plan to help them manage their money needed for school.” Robertson said. “If done correctly, student loans can become an investment in your future, not a millstone around your neck.”