Men’s soccer stumbles to CSMT, MSUD

In a 2-game weekend in Colorado, Dixie State University lost both games, however, it left DSU with high hopes for the coming season.

Their first game was against No. 6 ranked Colorado School of Mines. The final score on the game was 3-0, with sophomore midfielder Gabby Medina leading the team with three shot attempts. In DSU’s second soccer game against Metropolitan State University of Denver, DSU’s junior midfielder Sean Jenne was able to score the Trailblazers’ first goal of the season, giving them a lead, 0-1. Later, MSUD pulled ahead finishing the game winning 1-2.

With 10 wins last season  head coach Tim Busensaid he has high hopes to keep that momentum this season with more wins.

“We played some tough teams our first games of the season,” Busen said. “We did not execute these games as we would have liked to, but did learn and grow as a team from them.” 

Busen plans after this weekend’s results are to be more focused and disciplined in the game and hope to keep moving forward.

“We had some good chances to execute but didn’t finish them out like we wanted to,” said center midfielder Dominic Damato, a sophomore business management major from Las Vegas.

Busen said the team is motivated from last season and is eager to make 2016 a success. 

“I’m excited for the potential of our team and [hope] to see good results as we saw last year,” said defender Hunter Ketterer, a senior biology major from Cedar City.

Busen said the team holds their heads high as they prepare themselves for future games, to control their focus, and altogether grow stronger as a team. 

“As we progress as a team, gain some experience and keep our composure, we will be able to play with more consistency in the next games and season to come,” Busen said.

DSU stands at 0-2 on the season and will travel to Montana Friday for a game against Montana State University followed by a game Sunday against the University of Mary before returning home for its first home game of the season Sept. 17 against Northwest Nazarene University.