Nigerian Independence Day celebrated at DSU with food, fashion

Students at Dixie State University dressed up and gathered together to celebrate the Nigerian Independence Day with food, games, dress and fun Friday.

Starting the event with authentic Nigerian food, students of all cultures enjoyed comedy, a fashion show, music and Nigerian dancing in the Gardner Student Center Ballroom. The event was hosted by the Nigerian Student Association.

“I really enjoy the rice from Nigeria,” said Chidera “Mikraking” Ezech, a freshman nursing major from Awka, Nigeria. “In Nigeria, we also have a big cake with our flag colors on it and celebrate with fireworks.”

Though Nigerian Independence day is celebrated on Oct. 1, the Nigerian Student Association wanted to involve as many students and faculty as possible to show appreciation to this celebration.

Cynthia Konye Ojoko, a sophomore chemistry major from Lagos, Nigeria, is the president of the Nigerian Student Association. She said she helped put the Nigerian Independence Day event together and was grateful for the attendance of students, faculty and residents.

The independence day event included singing the Nigerian national anthem, and pledge of Nigeria, along with cultural dances by Ojoko, and a brief history of Nigeria. A fashion show with vibrant clothing followed, to show viewers the dress culture of Nigeria.

“I really liked going up on stage and learning their traditional dances,” said Natasha Cannon, a sophomore elementary education major from St. George. “I went last year and would like to go and see it next year.”

Riddles and jokes were also given about Nigeria and other cultures.

Traditional Nigerian food was served for everyone who attended the event. Fried rice, Jollof rice, plantain, chicken, chicken gizzards and Zobo — a Nigerian tea-like drink — were all served at the event.

“I am grateful for how far Nigeria has come as a country,” Ojoko said. “I hope that many other cultural events can be attended at DSU so we can all learn from each other.”

Donations were optional for the Nigerian Student Association to continue events like this one and help DSU continue to be a diverse culture university.