Women’s golf earns one of best team scores in program history

After a windy start, Dixie State University Women’s golf team picked up its pace of play to earn to one of the best team scores in the program’s history.

The Trailblazers finished in ninth place overall at the Third-Annual Fall DSU Invitational Tuesday. Scoring a 300 (+12), DSU shaved 16 strokes off of their opening round score of 316 (+28) Monday, the third best team finish since the program started five years ago.

“I’m really pleased with the way we finished,” head coach Lindsey Stucki said. “A 16-stroke improvement is pretty incredible.”

Katie Perkins, a sophomore general studies major from St. George, and Cobair Collinsworth, a junior business administration major from Sandy, contributed to the Trailblazers’ success, both finishing in the top 10 overall.  

Perkins shot 1-under-par 71 Tuesday, carding five birdies and improving from her still impressive 1-over-par 73 score she earned Monday, which included two birdies. She finished the invitational tied for second overall.

“I’m not really a wind player,” Perkins said. “So I had to really focus that day, and I think that’s why I did so well. Going into the second day, I knew where I was placed so that encouraged me to stay in the game, and I knew I had a chance to win.”

Perkins said the weather was a factor during their opening round, but the team was able to focus on Stucki’s goal of shooting less than 320, and come back the next day.

“We’re very encouraging of each other,” Perkins said. “Golf is an individual sport, but since we have each other we have used that [to improve].”

Ending Monday tied for 19th, Collinsworth’s three birdies on Tuesday drove her up the leaderboard to her final placing tied for seventh overall.

In individual play, Mei Brennan, a sophomore integrated studies major from Layton, earned her two best scores of the season, putting her second overall among individual players in the field with an 8-over-par 80 finish.

“My driver was really good that day,” Brennan said. “When my driver is good my confidence is a lot higher.”

Brennan says throughout the season the team has grown closer, and that has helped them improve.

“At the beginning of the year, we had a new coach and lots of new freshman, so we were all kind of nervous,” Brennan said. “Now we know each other so we get along better.”

Perkins and Brennan said their hope is to either get a top five team finish this year or to have all of their players score in the 70s.

The Trailblazers’ fall season will come to an end at the Cal State Marcos Invitational Oct. 24-25.