Men’s soccer continues to lead PacWest

By: Ryann Heinlen
For Dixie Sun News

The Dixie State University men’s soccer team trumped the Academy of Art University Urban Knights Saturday, ending the game with a one-point lead.

Freshman midfielder Angel Estrada scored the one and only goal of the game, and his second of the season, to remain undefeated in the Pacific West Conference. This game represented the team’s 11th consecutive win. 

“It’s a great feeling because I know we deserve it,” said sophomore midfielder Gabby Medina, a finance major from Las Vegas. “We go hard in practice and know what we’re capable of. Ever since we were predicted to be seventh,we had this chip on our shoulders, so it’s a great feeling to be 9-0.”

The Trailblazers kicked off the game with the only goal within the first five minutes. Estrada dribbled the ball from the left side of the takeaway to create a one-on-one scenario, which ended in his favor. 

The Urban Knights’ defender rushed forward for a goal attempt with 28 minutes left in the first half. His attempt was unsuccessful, hitting the goal post before bouncing out of bounds. 

Gabby Medina passed to freshman forward Moises Medina for an open-goal shot as the opposing goalie rolled to the ground. In the second half, Gabby Medina made a break away toward the opposing goal for another shot. Neither attempt was successful. 

“I’m overjoyed with the win,” said Estrada, a medical laboratory science major from Pasadena, California. “When we give 100 percent in practice, we give 100 percent on the field.”

The Trailblazers remain 9-0 in the PacWest Conference and 11-3 in their regular season. 

Assistant coach Nyle Ortiz recently stepped up as interim head coach following the firing of Tim Busen.

“It’s been a dramatic week for sure and the recent news has been an obstacle,” Ortiz said. “The biggest thing looming over us was the fact that everyone was waiting to see how we reacted and how we would come out. We needed this win.”

DSU’s next game is Saturday at 4:30 p.m. against Dominican University inside Legend Solar Stadium.