Volleyball takes two in Bay Area

Dixie State University women’s volleyball killed their California trip by winning their three games  Friday, Saturday and Monday.

The Trailblazers’ victories puts them at 15-8 on the season and 11-4 in the Pacific West Conference.

DSU opened the weekend with a win in Belmont against Notre Dame de Namur University  with a 3-set victory.

The team started scoring 25-18 in the first set. The victory kept going as the Trailblazers spiked 25-11 in the second set and ended the match with a 25-23 winning set.

Senior outside hitter Delayne Daniel stood out in the match with 15 kills and 13 digs, followed by sophomore outside hitter Taylor Duryea with 14 kills and seven digs.

“We had the mindset on winning and we were doing a great job,” said Duryea, a communication major from Logan. “We have been focusing on the process in order to get the outcome we want.”

DSU got its second victory in the Bay Area against Academy of Art University Saturday in San Francisco.

Once again, the Trailblazers got a 3-0 lead win in the match with 25-19, 25-22 and 25-19. The team kicked off the second win with a total of 42 kills and 58 digs. Duryea said despite the victory, they had a lot of errors in the match. 

“When you have a match with a lot of errors, it drowns out the great things you did, so those wins don’t feel good.” Duryea said. “However, a win is a win, and we are happy to be winning again and getting back to doing what we do well.” 

The Trailblazers finished their California trip with their last victory against Fresno Pacific University Monday.

Once again, DSU swept the Sunbirds in 3 three sets 25-18, 25-22 and after a tough final set,the Trailblazers got the win, 25-23.

“We played really solid and had a great team win,” said junior libber Jaclyn Condie, an exercise science major from Cottonwood Heights. “Both offense and defense were working together, and we meshed really well. It feels great to have won our three games in 3 sets.”

The game ended with an overall of 45 kills and 55 digs. Daniel with 17 kills and Duryea with eight kills stood out in the match getting the win.

“It was a great weekend for us to get back on track, I think we played with a lot of confidence and it felt good to get back into our winning ways,” said Head Coach Robyn Felder. “With five games to go, anything can happen and we are going to do everything to finish strong.”

DSU will play their next game against Dominican University at the Student Activities Center Saturday at noon.