Lost Arts: Marriage offers opportunities not available elsewhere

The idea of marriage and what it stands for seems to be in a downward spiral, and yet, getting married was the best decisions I ever made. 

Marriage creates a unity and a special bond that can’t be felt in any other way. Marriage is the crowning choice when it comes to relationships and the love two people can have for one another. This decision, to tie the knot, comes with great responsibility with the result of finding happiness or experiencing disaster. A choice, for many, that scares them. Marriage is becoming a lost art, and it is doing so quickly.

Over time, marriage has meant different things to different people. Within the last few generations, prior to ours, marriage had been held in such high-esteem. As time passed, marriage became what some may call “a foolish tradition taught to us by our fathers.” Its value began weening as thoughts arose that said life would be the same with or without the marriage license. Some may even enjoy the freedom that is provided by not being married. They come and go as they please and know there is nothing tying them down. Heck, some might think marriage is uncool.

With that being said, the pros of marriage still vastly outweigh the cons. 

It was in the brilliant city of London when I met my wife. We both happened to be missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. During our time spent there as missionaries, my wife claims that we only ever had one conversation, which I don’t even remember. 

After returning home from our missions, we reconnected via social media. We began going on weekly dates and that eventually led to a proposal from me just over a year after our first date. We enjoyed being engaged for six months, which was a pretty long time considering we lived in Mormon country. Then, as of May 15, 2015, my sweetheart and I were married in the Salt Lake Temple for time and all eternity. 

Now we’re only a couple of months away from our two-year anniversary, and I can say I made the best decision of my life. She is my best friend, soulmate and personal confidant. 

Some may question why we got married at an early age, or why we didn’t date each other for a longer period of time. The answer is simple: We loved each other and knew we were meant to be. 

To my wife and me, being married is absolutely essential if we want to make the most out of this life. A lot of this stems from our religious beliefs in the idea that we want to be an eternal family, but there are lessons within this philosophical thinking that very much apply. 

Being married creates a unique and special bond between spouses. It helps unify and strengthen couples as they seek to embrace all that the world has to throw at them. It strengthens the friendship the two people have. When difficult times start, it becomes essential to lean on each other for support.

When my wife and I first moved to St. George, my wife struggled to adapt to the lifestyle here. She didn’t know anybody except for the few family members we have here. It was rough on her as she missed her family, friends and Salt Lake City. As I stood by her side the entire time, she knew she could lean on my shoulder. 

Marriage also teaches individuals the importance of committing. How many times do we see couples abandon ship the moment life starts to become difficult?

Unfortunately divorce happens, but truly being committed exemplifies the love one another has.

It requires patience, persistence and unconditional love. If you are willing to commit and work hard at it, your marriage will be the best choice you ever make. It doesn’t have be a lost art.