DSU take 2 of 3 from No. 9 Adelphi

The weekend was a hit for the Dixie State University softball team who took two out of three from No. 9 ranked Adelphi University.

The No. 20 ranked Trailblazers shut out the Panthers 10-0 Friday and then split the remaining two games  Saturday.

“Our fielding was really solid and consistent this weekend,” said junior outfielder Kenzie Sawyer, a biology major from Cedar City. “Our energy was fantastic, and we just want to keep the momentum [rolling].”

DSU had outscored AU 16-0 through the first 13 innings of the game but defensive lapses near the end of the final game prevented a three-game sweep.

In the opening game against AU, the Trailblazers were able take advantage of some untimely errors by the Panthers and also ride the arm of senior pitcher Brooklyn Beardshear.

Beardshear only allowed five hits and did not give up a run. She was aided by a solid 10-hit, 10-run performance by the Trailblazer offense.

Sophomore shortstop Bailey Gaffin scored the first run of the game after Sawyer doubled to left. Sawyer was waived in later in the inning after junior outfielder Jenessa Bassett laid down a successful bunt.

DSU tacked on two more runs in the third inning thanks to an RBI triple by senior catcher Arista Honey and a rare stolen home base by freshman first baseman Riley Tyteca.

Already up 5-0 heading into the fourth, the Trailblazers put the game away for good after senior outfielder Shelby Yung singled down the left field line to score one run. Tyteca got walked to send another DSU runner home. A couple of errors later, DSU held a commanding 10-0 lead that caused the game to end after just five innings.

The two teams played twice again Saturday, and the first game emulated the Friday game almost perfectly.

Beardshear pitched another six-hit shutout victory for the Trailblazers.

“I have a lot of great players behind me,” said Beardshear, an exercise science major from Tucson, Arizona. “When we field the ball well, we have a great shot to win the game.”

Gaffin drove in sophomore catcher Jessica Gonzalez for the first run of the game in the second inning.

DSU continued to build its lead in the third when sophomore outfielder Taylor Godfrey was waived home following a sacrifice fly by Bassett. An AU wild pitch had the Trailblazers up 3-0 after three innings.

A couple RBI doubles in the fourth inning and another Panther error in the fifth allowed DSU to extend its lead, and won, 6-0.

The final game of the series did not go quite as smooth for the Trailblazers.

DSU had its chance to score in the first inning, but stranded two on base after first baseman Mallory Paulson popped out.

AU put its first points on the board in the second and third innings to take a 3-0 lead.

DSU bounced back with three runs in the fourth fueled by a two-run shot to center by sophomore second baseman Dani Bartholf.

“That was my pitch, high and inside,” Bartholf said, a business major from Gilbert, Arizona. “Overall, we hit really well as a team and brought a lot of energy.”

The game remained tied 3-3 until the Panthers put three more on the board in the sixth.

DSU loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the sixth, but failed to score after two players struck out and another popped up to third.

AU extended its lead to 9-3 in the top of the seventh after hitting a two-run home run and using a DSU wild pitch to find home again.

Honey doubled to left to open the bottom of the seventh inning. A Gaffin double drove Honey home and a Sawyer blast to left-field cut the Panthers lead to 9-6.

DSU did not score the remainder of the game and lost only its third game of the season 9-6.

“We would have liked to have won all three games, but made too many mistakes [down the stretch],” head coach Randy Simkins said. “But overall we swung the bat well and I really liked what we got [out of Beardshear].”

At 14-3 overall, DSU opens up Pacific West Conference play at home against Holy Names University. The first game of a four-game series begins Saturday at 12 p.m. at Karl Brooks Field.