DSU smashes HNU in softball

The Dixie State University softball displayed complete and utter domination in its four-game sweep of Holy Names University on Saturday and Sunday.

The Trailblazers outscored HNU 34-5 over the course of the series and each game only lasted five innings.

“Obviously, we are happy about how we played this weekend,” head coach Randy Simkins said. “We hit .461 and only gave up nine hits, so we are [satisfied] with our overall play.”

The first game nearly saw a historic performance by senior pitcher Brooklyn Beardshear. Through her four innings on the mound, she had not let a single HNU player on base.

Because of a desired longevity for Beardshear, and a couple minor nagging injuries, Simkins decided to pull Beardshear after four innings. Beardshear did not get the opportunity to complete a perfect game, but did pick up her 8th win of the season.

“I wanted to stay in the game,” said Beardshear, an exercise science major from Tucson, Arizona. “But I am willing to do whatever it takes to help this team. I was grateful that we were scoring every inning to increase my confidence out there.”

DSU scored once in each of the first three innings, highlighted by an RBI double to left by senior outfielder Shelby Yung.

The Trailblazers broke open the game in the fourth inning after sophomore second baseman Bailey Gaffin and junior outfielder Janessa Bassett each hit RBI triples. Heading into the fifth inning, it was 9-0.

The Hawks did manage to get one run on the board in the fifth, making it a 9-1 victory for the Trailblazers.

The second game Saturday was a near carbon copy of the first game. Junior pitcher Madi Dove picked up right where Beardshear left off.

DSU took a 4-0 in the second inning, capped by a one-out 2 RBI sacrifice fly by Gaffin that scored sophomore second baseman Dani Bartholf from third and Bassett from first.

As Dove continued to dominate the Hawks, DSU kept putting runs on the board. Sophomore catcher Jessica Gonzalez drove in a run in the bottom of the fourth inning with an RBI double down the line, and then scored the final run of the 9-0 victory when junior third baseman Cassidy Morton reached base on a fielder’s choice.

On Sunday the Trailblazers found a way to perform even better offensively.

Back-to-back RBI doubles by Gaffin and senior first baseman Mallory Paulson put DSU up 2-0 in the second inning. Four more hits and two errors by the Hawks gave the Trailblazers a 6-0 cushion heading into the third inning.

Bassett hit a two-out RBI double to left in the third inning and then later stole home to push the Trailblazer’s lead to 9-0 through three innings.

With two outs in the fourth inning, junior outfielder Kenzie Sawyer hit a two-run double by pelting the ball to the center field fence. Senior shortstop Josey Hartman then hit an RBI double and later scored to make it a 14-1 game. DSU went on to win 14-3.

The final game of the series saw little variation

The Trailblazers scored 12 runs on 11 hits through two innings. The highlight of the second inning was a three-run blast to center field by Paulson.

DSU went on to win 12-1 for a four-game sweep of the Hawks and an impressive beginning to Pacific West Conference play.

“We played very well collectively as a team this weekend,” said Yung, a communication major from Upland, California. “Our defense was something to be [proud of] and our offense felt in sync.”

The Trailblazers are now 4-0 in Pacific West Conference play and 18-3 overall. They will play two final home games before a stretch of 10 consecutive road games. DSU hosts Dominican University of California for a doubleheader Saturday beginning at 3 p.m. at Karl Brooks Field.