DSU fall sports prepared to challenge opponents

With the Dixie State University fall season just around the corner, it’s time to get associated with this seasons opponents.

Men’s Football

It is now Shay McClure’s second season as head coach of the football team. The Trailblazers finally took home a winning season in 2016.

“We can’t  rest on our laurels after achieving something that hasn’t  happened before here at [DSU],” McClure said. “But we, as a team, feel that we can perform much better than we did. Our team motto this year is ‘change our best.’ Our ultimate goal is to be better than we were before.”

Football comes with tough opponents left and right.

“There are no easy games,” McClure said. “Each team comes prepared to play to the best of its abilities.”

With Colorado Mesa University winning the  Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, then Colorado State University-Pueblo and the Colorado School of Mines making it to the playoffs, it’s no doubt these three teams are the ones to watch. Nevertheless, DSU took Colorado Mesa last year with a winning score of 38-31.

“The coaches and I put in endless hours of work with the players to walk out on the field every Saturday to present ourselves in the best way possible,” McClure said. “I absolutely look forward to every single game this season.” 

Sept. 16 is the first home game at 6 p.m. at Legend Solar Stadium against Black Hills State University.

Men’s Soccer

Having the Pacific West Conference Championship under their belts, the DSU men’s soccer team, is bound to have a season for the books. Their first home game of the 2017 season kicks off Sept. 21 at 7 p.m.  with a flawless season in 2016. With 13-0, we can expect to see the players give each game their all as they fight to defend their title.

“We hope for the best and prepare for the worst, said head coach Jonny Broadhead. “I expect that my players will be prepared for the ups and downs and learning how to shake through the good/bad performances.”

Seeing as men’s soccer is at the height of its career, the title for PacWest Champions is something the teams has its eyes on.

After defeating Concordia University Irvine in the final match, more is expected from them against such teams that led to it’s past victory. Although there are games that may come as more competitive, Broadhead said, “our top competitors we’ll play this season will be the ones that we give our worst game to.”  

Women’s Soccer

The fall season in 2016, made the women’s soccer team hopeful toward building upon it’s previous achievements.

“We want to win the conference along with any other teams out there,” said head coach Kacey Bingham.

After losing to Azusa-Pacific University in the second half last year, with a score of 0-2, Azusa is now the team to beat. Bingham is looking forward to the game against Cal Baptist University on Sept. 30 at 4:30 pm on Legend Solar Stadium.

“It’s always been a close rival game [against Cal Baptist]; we tend to go into overtime with them a lot,” Bingham said. 

Volleyball

Finishing third in the PacWest Conference last year, head coach Robyn Felder looks to her players for what goals they hope to achieve in their farewell season. Next year women’s volleyball will be competing in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.  

“After the PacWest, we want to get to the NCAA tournaments and make it to the Elite Eight,” Felder said.

Concordia Irvine has been ranked as first in the preseason poll, Cal Baptist as second, and DSU in third.

“Concordia has always been a team to look out for, as well as Azusa Pacific,” Felder said.  “Cal Baptist has been a great competitor, but they will be moving up to division one after this year.”

With the first PacWest league game coming this Sept. 16 at noon women’s volleyball will be hitting off the competition facing Cal Baptist.