New Human Performance Center obligates DSU tennis team to relocate

Recently the DSU tennis courts were recently  torn down in preparation for the Human Performance Center, which will offer athletes new training equipment to better prepare for the season.

The new tennis courts are currently being designed and going to be located on the far side of Innovation Plaza where the old East Elementary was located.

“When the new courts are done, they will be top of the line,” said Jason Boothe, executive director of athletics. “We are very excited to get them done for the team, but we need to design them so they are done and built right for the long term of the team and the community.”

Construction will be done by fall semester 2018. In the meantime, the women’s tennis team will be utilizing other facilities such as Dixie High School and the Boots Cox Family Park for practice and competitions.

“I think when we have everyone at games, it will make us more confident with more seating than we have had in the past,” said Lacey Hancock, a member of the women’s tennis team and a junior recreation and sports management major from St. George. 

The Human Performance Center will include a new set of tennis courts as well. After three years of debate, the funding for this project was finally approved by the Utah Legislature.

“The new courts will be an amazing facility,” said Eric Pelton, women’s tennis head coach. “It will help us at the collegiate level and with recruiting and hopefully bring better players. It will bring positive energy and excitement.”

The women’s tennis team will begin its season on the road at the ITA regional tournament. It will then look to earn team wins in the CMU Maverick dual, with Colorado Mesa on Oct. 5 in Colorado, as its first competitor.  The team  will then play Colorado Christian University, Metro State University Denver, and Colorado State University Pueblo. 

Tennis practices vary each day based on when courts are available. The team will also be introducing three new players: Sabrina Longson, Yolena Carlon and Hattie Erekson for the 2017-18 season.