Las Vegas remembered in candlelight vigil on campus

Dixie State University and St. George community members gathered for a candlelight vigil to remember those who lost their lives to the massacre in Las Vegas and remember those who are still recovering.

“We don’t want those over there in Vegas to feel alone,” said Sky Crystal, who helped organize the vigil held at the DSU clock tower Monday night.

Many people who spoke gave prayers for the victims and first responders. After soft words were spoken, candles were lit and “Amazing Grace” was sang by those in attendance. Faculty, students and community members gathered in a moment of silence in support of those affected.

“I want to share my condolences with all those affected by the shooting in Las Vegas,” said DSU President Richard “Biff” Williams. “We are all deeply affected by this incident. Together, we will do all we can to provide support during the aftermath of this tragedy.”

People in the crowd were able to feel the spirit and joy that people need in a time of tragedy.

“My dad and grandpa are firemen, and they were on duty so it impacted me,” said Las Vegas native Hallie Lovett. “Everyone is just in shock, and I am fortunate to have the family I do.”

Donations were accepted for the Red Cross to help with the cost of funeral expenses.