Trailblazers go 1-1 after two PacWest home games

With a win against Chardon State University Oct. 7, Dixie State University was looking for its second game in a row. Unfortunately, for the Trailblazers, the fighting stopped after losing to Colorado Mesa University 22-35.

The Colorado Mesa Mavericks are nationally ranked at No. 20 in the AFCA Division II out of a total of 25 teams.  They currently hold a 6-1,6-1 in the RMAC. They last played Black Hills State University with a winning score of 49-37.   

Around this time last year, DSU had won one more game; however, they now sit at 3-4, 3-3 in the RMAC.

“Since last year [DSU has] been a lot better with execution and limiting our mistakes,” said defensive back Tyler Walker, a senior exercise science major from Pomona, California.

A interception by defensive back Jaylen Moore led to a touchdown in the first quarter putting DSU ahead 6-0. Kicker A.J. Yergensen was then able to a complete field goal.

Colorado Mesa  answered back with two touchdowns of its own in the second quarter.

Quarterback Malik Watson then connected with wide receiver Dejuan Dantzler for another touchdown extending DSU lead 15-14. Then CMU ran two touchdowns in the opening minutes of the third 15-28.

Trailing in the third, Watson threw a complete pass to wide receiver Kasey Allison for 40 yards to snag a touchdown 21-28.

Defensive back Donovan Williams, a junior recreation management major from San Diego, California, said although DSU was down in the game against CMU, they are ‘not out of the count’ and will come back stronger in future games.  

CMU was able grab yet another touchdown, allowing them to win the game.

“We have to play more consistent[ly] and play 60 minutes; we can’t play 30 minutes and expect to win,” said head coach Shay McClure. “We have to play entire game being more consistent in everything we do.”

Next week the Trailblazers play the Colorado School of Mines, a team who previously defeated the Trailblazers. With Homecoming Week just around the corner, DSU will play Adams State University Oct.28, at Legend Solar Stadium.