DSU students step out of comfort zone, into the spotlight for Dixie’s Got Talent

Dixie’s Got Talent is more than a giant check or a shining spotlight; it’s an opportunity for Dixie State University students to get our of their comfort zones.

Staci Leavitt, a junior CIT major from St. George, saw announcements last week for Dixie’s Got Talent auditions, which took place Saturday. She didn’t realize that she only had 90 seconds to perform her talent until 10 minutes before her audition. 

“That was a little nerve wracking to change up the song last minute…but I feel like it all went really well,” Leavitt said. 

She said she likes to play her guitar and sing, but usually only around close friends. She has never auditioned for anything before, and she chose to sing “House of Gold” by Twenty One Pilots for her audition.

“I thought it would be fun to just get out of my comfort zone,” Leavitt said. “I’m just trying to build my confidence.” 

Annie Schutz, a sophomore theater major from Knoxville, Tennessee, also auditioned for Dixie’s Got Talent by singing and playing guitar. She performed “New Perspective” by Panic at the Disco.

Unlike Leavitt, Schutz has auditioned for small gigs and musicals before.

“I auditioned for Dixie’s Got Talent mostly for the exposure,” Schutz said. “As a musician, you just have to put yourself out there whenever there’s an opportunity to.”

For Josian Brett, a freshman theater major from Spokane, Washington, singing for her audition was a “calming” experience.

“We can come as a community to share our talents and bring joy to people who come and watch and vote,” Brett said. 

Dixie’s Got Talent callbacks will take place Dec. 2, and the finale will be on Jan. 18. To purchase tickets, visit dsutix.com or call 435-652-7800.