Students, faculty, staff gear up for D-Week

Dixie State University’s annual D-Week will take on a “Magic of Dixie” theme, and events will be held from April 6 to Saturday.

The week will be packed full of timeless DSU traditions including the whitewashing of the “D” on Black Hill and True Trailblazer, a night at the fountain, to close out the week.

Some unique events happening include a doughnut eating event in attempts to break the world record for most people consecutively eating doughnuts.

Bailey Zimmerman, a junior business administration major from St. George, and vice president of student life, said she was most excited for DSU mascot Brooks The Bison’s birthday celebration Monday.

“I think it’s a really fun and unique event to hold on campus,” Zimmerman said. “I also am excited for the D-Queen pageant because I have seen how hard each contestant is working, and I’m excited to see it all [pay] off.”

Anilee Bundy, assistant director of student involvement and leadership, said each event is important because the string of week-long events is what makes up a true D-Week experience. She said although it is difficult for her to select a favorite D-Week event, some of them are noteworthy.

“Brooks birthday and the Great Race and Carnival are fun and provide an opportunity to really include the community in the D-Week experience,” Bundy said. “Not to mention the Great Race is one of the longest standing traditions on our campus, so that’s pretty cool.”

Teresita Rodriguez, a sophomore general education major from Salt Lake City, said she participated in D-Week events last year and intends to again this year.

“Some of the [events] have a really strong meaning behind them,” Rodriguez said. “A lot of them are really good traditions.”

Rodriguez said she most looks forward to participating in the Great Race Friday and attending the Carnival afterward.

Zimmerman said student government began the planning process for D-Week about eight weeks prior, with some events taking much more time to plan.

“Because D-Week [has] so many events, we start planning some of them months in advance,” Zimmerman said. “For example, I know the D-Queen pageant was started last semester.”

Zimmerman said traditions on campus are important for students to feel connected with each other, the community and the alumni that came before them. She said these traditions offer an opportunity for students to fully invest in the place where they’re earning their degrees.

Bundy agreed traditions are an important part of a university and a positive opportunity for the student body.

“Traditions create a sense of community and give the campus something fun to look forward to each year,” Bundy said. “[Traditions] build the bridge between students and the heritage of their school.”

Zimmerman and Bundy both said they would encourage students to participate in D-Week activities.

“Students [who] want to get more out of their university experience than simply a degree should start with this week,” Zimmerman said. “[D-Week] is full of traditions and exciting events for everyone.”