Local artists show off talent in ‘Fiber Galore’ art show

Local artists are showing off their talent at this years Fiber Galore Art Show. The show, which runs from Feb. 1 to Feb. 25, features a variety of fiber-made and woven art pieces.

Put together by Sandra Sandberg of the St. George Weaving Studio, this show takes place at the Red Cliff Gallery, located at 220 N. 200 E. The show features dozens of handmade baskets, scarves, needlework, towels, shawls and more created by around 60 artists from three different states.

While 2019 is the first year this particular art show has been done, there have been various shows similar to it in the past.

“We’ve been [teaching weaving] for 30 some-odd years, and every once in a while, [Gary Sanders, the St. George Community Arts and Exhibits manager] will suggest we do a show,” Sandberg said.

Although the idea originally came to fruition in 2018, Sandberg set the show to be held in 2019. 

“The city provides the studio for us,” Sandberg said. “The least we can do is a show now and then…We’re very fortunate.”

The Kayenta Weavers, a group of eight women who contributed several pieces to the art show, said there are various inspirations behind each piece of art. These include, but aren’t limited to, color and texture, said Kay Barickman, a member of the Kayenta Weavers. Barickman said the friendships that come from weaving with each other are a source of inspiration.

“For me, a lot of the time, humor is my inspiration,” said Katie Mays, founder of the Kayenta Weavers.

Mays showcased a piece titled “Home for lost earrings,” featuring a woven tapestry with various lone earrings pinned to it.

The show also offered a variety of awards to those who participated, which included:

• Free expression within Structural Confines
  • Influence of Color on Geometric Design
  • Heritage Fiber Design
  • Elegant and Classic Traditional Functionality
  • Superbly dyed color gradation
  • Choice adaptation of natural materials
  • Best use of color and pattern in a garment
  • Prime composition regarding organic themes
  • Composite strength of techniques, color and materials
  • Innovation with focus on color placement

The show received funding to give out awards based on volunteer donations from those who submitted pieces.

Sandberg hopes people continue to see the show in its last week.

“The purpose of [the St. George Weaving Studio] is never to make pieces to sell them and to promote ourselves,” Sandberg said. “[Most weavers] weave because it brings them great satisfaction, and they develop skills and participate in events… But weaving to sell is not the foundation of what we do.”

Sandberg said most visitors at the art show have been astounded at the diversity and complexity of what they see at the show.

Fiber Galore is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information, contact Sandra Sandberg at [email protected] or visit the St. George Weaving Studio at 400 S. Donlee Drive.