Amazon cloud en route to DSU

Amazon is testing a new apparel service called Prime Wardrobe. (TNS)

Dixie State University is partnering with Amazon Web Services to provide students with the skill set to pursue careers in the field of cloud technology.

Digital and extended learning at DSU announced that an AWS academy program will be offered to students. DSU will offer two preparation courses for the certification. The first is a 20 hour, three-week course on AWS cloud foundations. It is a mix of classes, online resources and labs. All of the content is provided by AWS. The second is a 40 hour, five-week course on AWS cloud architecting.

The AWS courses will be offered to current students at DSU as well as tech professionals in the region and in the area. The curriculum for DSU students will be incorporated by Joe Francom in a traditional three credit class. Francom is also teaching in a non-credit format primarily for the tech professionals that are not active DSU students.

The courses provided by DSU do not provide the actual AWS certifications. The courses prepare students to take the certification exam through Amazon. Ryan Hobbs, director of digital and extended learning, said the courses are intended to help students prepare for the certification process.

“Once you have completed these certifications, the sky is the limit in terms of job opportunities,” Hobbs said. “You’ll have the specific skill set that’s in high demand right now. If you’re in the tech space, this is a great opportunity to advance your skill set.”

Seth Gardner, a senior computer and information technology major from Cleveland, Ohio, passed the Amazon Cloud Practitioner certification. Gardner is in the IT-4990 Special Topics in Information Technology: Cloud Computing Architecture. This year is the first time DSU has offered the class. It’s the only class provided for Amazon Certifications as of now.

Gardner said his favorite thing about the class is the access to the online lab environment.

“We can experiment with our own cloud designs and use all of the services that you’d have to pay for in the work environment for free while you’re in class,” Gardner said. “My future plans for this certification is to work for a company and help them migrate or help them design their infrastructure to Amazon’s cloud.”

Nate McDonald, a freshman general studies major from Layton, said he heard about the course and certification and thinks it would be a great opportunity to think about pursuing.

“Everything in the world is going to the cloud and online,” McDonald said. “People would be missing out if they pass on or at least don’t even consider an opportunity like this.”