DSU career services shares tips for summer jobs

Photo illustration by Madison Anderson.

Spring is a great time of year. The temperature is changing from sweater weather to shorts and t-shirts. However, with the semester ending, clothes aren’t high on your priority list. You’re thinking about whether you’ll spend the summer binge watching Netflix shows or while away the heat infused days at a summer job.

Spending long summer days in front of the television may be a tempting thought, but for Dixie State University students, a summer job could make all the difference in their career goals and ability to continue their education.

Career Coach Gina Gottfredson said the best thing for students to do is get a summer job in their industry. She said students will gain experience working in their chosen field and that can help them decide to continue their education in that field or discover that something else is a better fit. If a student wants to be a financial planner, but has never worked in a financial planning office, the student will get to see what happens in a financial planning office, Gottfredson said.

“We even suggest they take a job that would maybe pay them less money and get the experience because we think that’s invaluable,” Gottfredson said.

Cheryl Brandt, student employment specialist, said the career services website Handshake is a good place to look for summer jobs because the website has internships, temporary, full time, and part-time jobs listed. Another place a student can find a summer job is during the career fairs which are held in August, September, January and February, Brandt said.

Gottfredson said students can come to DSU Career Services and get help perfecting their resume to use while seeking employment, whether that is for the summer or for their first job after graduation

Indeed.com is another resource for finding a summer job. The website links students to professional jobs as well as customer service related jobs throughout the United States. A search for film production jobs in New York resulted in a list of more than 600 positions ranging from entry level production assistant to managing a studio. Another search for media communications jobs produced results for positions in Washington, Hurricane and at DSU.

Scott Kirkham, a sophomore computer science major from Riverton, found his job at the campus store through Indeed.com. He said he applied for the job online, received a call from the campus store, and showed up for the interview.

“[The] job’s great,” Kirkham said. “It’s taught me a lot about computers, about sales, a lot about customer service. I work a lot with professors and adults in the school, so a lot of professors and administrators know me.”

The need for a summer job may vary from one student to another.

“I think it depends on what [students’] circumstances are,” Brandt said. “A lot of them need to make money so they can go to school without working during the school year.”

Kirkham said some of his roommates have to return home to work and live rent free in order to save money for fall semester. He said one of the reasons is because they cannot afford to stay in St. George over the summer and going home is the best option for them.

Whether your reason for needing a summer job is to pay for school, have spending money, or gain experience, there are jobs available and Career Services is a good place to start your search.