Human Performance Center: When is it going to open?

Photo courtesy of UMAC.

Dixie State University students will have access to a new facility starting the first day of the fall 2019 semester.

The Human Performance Center will be open for classes on Aug. 19 and will be fully operational Oct. 25, said Sherry Ruesch, executive director of facilities management.

The Dixie Sun News reported in December 2017 the HPC would be opening in July 2019. After going over budget and pushing back the opening date, the exciting addition to the DSU campus is set to be open this fall semester.

Ruesch said starting on the first day of the semester, the north half of the building will be fully functioning and all of the labs, classrooms and academic spaces will be open for students. In addition, a portion of the fitness area will be complete. 

The other section of the fitness area is said to be completed by September when the fitness equipment arrives.

The remaining portion of the building, including the pool, gym, running track and climbing wall, will be open by the ribbon-cutting date of Oct. 25, Ruesch said.

The HPC went over budget by $5 million, said Bryant Flake, executive director of planning and budgeting.

“The building will be a social hub and will be the clear definition of active learning, active life”

“The increased cost is due to a number of factors, but the primary drivers were inflation of building materials due to tariffs and a construction labor shortage driven by the rapid growth of the Washington County region,” Flake said.

Flake said the over-budget building does not expect to cause any issues, but rather it will be a tremendous benefit to students.

Susan Hart, professor of exercise science, said the HPC will house academic programs such as sport and recreation management, population health and a master of athletic training.

Hart said potential future clinical doctorate programs, physical therapy and occupational therapy will also be housed in the HPC.

“The building will be a social hub and will be the clear definition of active learning, active life,” Ruesch said. “We really want [students] to enjoy it and hope they will improve their health by spending time there.”