State of the University Address reveals new partnership, gives update on Status to Stature

At the State of the University Address on Sept. 18, President Richard “Biff” Williams announced that Mountain America Credit Union will be partnering with Dixie State University Athletics as its official credit union.

“All of you are part of that rich legacy now,”

David Clark, Board of trustees Chair

“You can’t have a State of the University Address without some major announcement,” Williams said. “And so, I am very pleased to announce that we have entered into a 10-year agreement with Mountain America so they can be the exclusive credit union for Dixie State University Trailblazer Athletics.”

As part of this partnership, MACU will have jumbotrons and an Art in the City bison dedicated to it, and it will be supporting DSU in the move to Division I.

During the address, Williams also discussed how DSU is reaching and working toward its six Status to Stature goals. The six goals are:

• Promoting student success, which Williams said DSU has done by focusing on recruitment, enrollment and retention, something the university will continue to do.
  • Broadening academic programs, an ongoing effort which involved adding new academic programs such as Utah’s first Bachelor of Applied Science in Health Sciences, and new buildings such as the Atwood Innovation Plaza and the Human Performance Center.
  • Investing in faculty and staff, which DSU will continue to do by adjusting policies as needed and increasing awards such as the monthly Mini Trailblazer Awards, said Samuel Tobler, faculty senate president and associate professor of physics.
  • Increasing diversity, by recruiting both students and faculty who are from diverse backgrounds.
  • Community engagement, which is continuing to happen through projects and programs such as the Trailblazer Tunnel, the Trailblazer Engagement Center and enhancement of the Study Abroad programs.
  • Establishing a strong brand, which DSU has done and will continue to do through its mascot Brooks, its publications such as DSU Magazine, alumni initiatives, the music videos by Raging Red and Alex Boye, and more.

This is the final year of the current five-year Status to Stature plan and a new plan being created for 2025 will be released in July 2020.

David Clark, chair of the Board of Trustees, said the university has come far since its origins, especially when considering that pioneers started teaching in the back of a wagon.

“All of you are part of that rich legacy now,” Clark said to the crowd.

Student Body President Taylor Godfrey, a senior population health major from Buckeye, Arizona, said what made the State of the University address so special is that it represents the community supporting the campus and the future of the university.